My first run with salmon

Started by Smoking Duck, January 02, 2008, 11:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Decided to try Kummoks Salmon.  Had it in the brine yesterday.  Just got it into the smoker 1/2 hour ago.  I only had enough salmon to do 3 trays of it.

Decided to try the first rack straight; added some Old Bay to the second rack, and then a mixture of garlic, onion and thyme on the third rack to see how things go.

It's about 4*F out right now; got the door cracked a wee bit and I've been smoking at right about 105*F.  Am going to smoke them at the low temp for two hours, bump up to 140 for 3-4 hours and then 170 for the final 2.

I don't have my camera so I can't take any pics but boy they sure look good.  I'm gonna have to take a trip up to Lake Michigan soon so I can use the real thing versus the store bought if looks are any indication at how these are going to turn out.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

bigredsmoker

Hey Duck! Can't believe your doing Salmon today too. How long are yo planning on applying smoke and what are you using for pucks. I am going to use Alder Apple.

Terry

PS: I know you are a hunter so I thought you may appreciate this pic from a hunting trip with a Buddy of mine last fall.

Smoking Duck

Hey Terry,

Nice pic (I always appreciate good pics of labs  ;D).  I smoked mine for two hours using alder and then followed the cooking time as given in Kummok's Salmon post.  Came out really good.  I have some saved for an after the pulled pork treat for the Saturday Steeler playof game.

Gonna eat good and that's an important part of life.  Got some Leinekugels and Blue Moon frosting as we speak as well.

Life is good.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

gillgetter

Duck, you really should make thtrip up here and do a salmon charter! You'll be hooked. Fresh salmon here is sooo much better than store bought (which is commonly Silver salmon). If you need any info on charters, let me know.