pulled pork help

Started by jakomatic20, January 10, 2008, 11:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakomatic20

hello everyone i am going to attempt to do pulled pork this weekend. i am going to the butchers in the morning to get the meat. but i am not sure what exactly i should get. just a pork butt roast i am guessing???? im not really sure what i am going to do for a rub i am sure i will figure that out soon. im not sure if the roast are small if i should get to of them or get a whole shoulder. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

also im just guessing 4 hours of smoke at a temp of 210 and just let it go until the internal temp hits around 185-190???

again thanks for all the help in the past and if any more advice could be given on this subject it would be greatly appreciated.

Gizmo

I would suggest the simple pork butt othewise known as a Pork Shoulder and does not include the "picknick".  Your smoke time, temps, IT and time (when it reaches the IT - how ever long it takes) are all right on.  There are lots of variations for rubs and many you can purchase.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

The names vary from region to region; I've seen the butt called Boston Butt, Boston Shoulder; butt shoulder, blade cut. If you get confused ask at the meat counter, and tell them you want to upper shoulder cut.

This site has a lot of rub recipes; and you can also take a look around this site for some rub ideas.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

My favorite is

"The Renowned Mr. Brown"
1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

One other point, allow plenty of time and be very patient.  The IT will plateau out at about 168 for what seems like an awfully long time as the collagen breaks down.  Don't rush it.  Low and slow results in a juicy, delicious batch of pork.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

jakomatic20

well everyone i went to the butcher tond asked about the pork butt roast. at first they showed me these little roasts about 3 or 4 lbs. i said hell no i want BIG. mans got to eat. so i asked for something bigger and see said let me go in the back. and to my suprise he camer out with a 16.5 lb roast. the whole pork butt. at first i thought it was the whole shoulder. but i was mistaken. it is not its actually just one solid roast. i know alot of people say that it would include the picnic along with the butt. but i see no line of fat or anything showing that it includes two different cut of meat???

so i am wondering if i should try to smoke it whole or if i should try to cut it in half and then smoke both halves. if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.  i will tell you i bought it and will say it is a pure thing of bueaty. a nice fat topping and all meat on the bottom with a little marble thru out.
the best thing yet is 16.5 lb roast for $1.29/ld. thats right $21 for this bueaty. cant go wrong.

SKSmoker

a 16.5lbs pork butt? Good lord, how big was the hog, 600 lbs? Deft cut that sucker into two 8 lb butts and do them separately.  Take some pics, I want to see a 16.5lb pork butt!!
Lead by example

Gizmo

Seeewwwwyyyyyy. That is some "HOG". 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

That is huge. If you can please post of picture of that. The largest butt I have gotten was 12 pounds and that took up a whole tray. Most average around 7 pounds with the bone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MoSmoke

jakomatic20

That is one huge butt........... I did two last weekend and the Kryvac bag was 20.5 pounds for the pair.
I took just over 25 hours @210 to get an IT of 195. Good thing I started them at 2:00 the afternoon before. The guys above or right on about the "plateau" it can sit in that 106 to 170 range for hours.
The first couple of times you experience it you think somethime is broke.
I would plan on a good long smoke and a good nights sleep with that bad boy.
Check to see it it still ears and a snout, maybe also a tail.
No matter what you are in for a feast.

Enjoy

MoSmoke
The Surgeon General may have been right, "Smoking is Addictive".