• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question for people with Cabelas Commerical Dehydrators

Started by Jimbo, January 14, 2008, 12:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbo

How long does it take for your dehydrator to reach 150 degs or higher?

I used my 80L unit for the first time today to make jerky and preheated with the temp set to 150 deg for 45 mins and it never got over 107 deg.

I then loaded the jerky from the OBS into the dehydrator and its been in their for 1/2 hr and the temp is only at 90 degs.

The dehydrator is in my closed shed with the air temp is about 40 degs.

Does this sound right to you?

Thanks.

Mr Walleye

Hi Jimbo

I've never timed mine but it certianly doesn't take that long. I usually preheat it for a bit, then just fire stuff in it. Mine is in my heated garage which I'm sure has an impact on it but I'm not sure how much of an impact. My garage  temp is around 65 to 70 degrees. What would be interesting is if you set it at 160 degrees and let it run for an hour then recorded the temp. Next, move the unit into your home (after it's cooled down) and run the same test. This might narrow it down a little for you.

The other thing is they do draw a lot of electricity so extention cords are an issue. I had to use an extention cord. I used an extention cord that was for a wall type air conditioner which has not been a problem.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

acords

I'm thinking that 40 degrees is too cold for this unit.  Mine takes about 20 minutes or so to reach 160 empty.  After I load the racks, it will drop and take roughly an hour to reach 145-150.  Mine is inside though
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Jimbo on January 14, 2008, 12:25:26 PM
How long does it take for your dehydrator to reach 150 degs or higher?

I used my 80L unit for the first time today to make jerky and preheated with the temp set to 150 deg for 45 mins and it never got over 107 deg.

I then loaded the jerky from the OBS into the dehydrator and its been in their for 1/2 hr and the temp is only at 90 degs.

The dehydrator is in my closed shed with the air temp is about 40 degs.

Does this sound right to you?

Thanks.

Jimbo

You need to get the jerky 140* or higher so you dont have bad jerky.
My dehydrator takes about 25 mins to reach ideal 140/160 temp. Mine is in the house  ;D

nepas

Jimbo

Thanks for the replies guys.  I ended up bringing it into the house and it jumped right up to temp within about 15 mins. 

I think it might have been a combination of the cold and my extension cord.  I didn't realize how much juice these draw.  I had it on a 25' 12 ga cord but maybe that wasn't enough?