Newbie here with questions

Started by j morgan, January 17, 2008, 07:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j morgan

My Lovely Wife gave me a Bradley 4 rack smoker for Christmas (isn't she sweet?). I have only had time to season the thing and smoke the Chicken, Ham, Cheese & Bacon roll, boy that was fantastic. This weekend I plan on smoking some Pork Spare Ribs, we picked up a 10lb pack from Costco. My question is how long should I smoke them and how much heat for how long? Please keep it simple, remember I'm new to this.
Also I have a question about viewing pictures that people post on this site. Sometime I see the photos other time I don't. What's up with that?
Thanks Folks.
John

Mr Walleye

Hi John

You've doing good!  ;)

Everybody seems to have their own preferance on how tender they like ribs but here is how I do them.
I start my preheat with the puck burner on (no pucks) at about 260 degrees. Next I remove the membrane on the ribs and cut the racks in half to fit better. I usually rub them down with olive oil then hit them with you favorite rub. With ribs you may want to go lighter on the rub until you get a feel for your taste buds. Next I usually spray my racks with Pam and fire those babys in. Set the temp to 210 and load 2 hour & 40 minutes of pucks (I like apple on ribs). Once the smoke is finished I change out the water bowl & rotate racks. At the 4 hour mark I take the ribs out and put them in a foil roaster pan with a splash of apple juice, cover with foil and back in the smoker they go for another 4 hours of heat only. Next I usually finsh them on high heat on the grill just long enough to sauce them.

You can wrap each rack in foil with apple juice instead of using the foil pan but the pan is my preferance. Also lots of people finish them in the oven once the ribs are in the foil.

That's what works for me....

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

j morgan

Thanks Mike, that's just what I was looking for.
John

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes