Started by rocketbob, January 14, 2008, 01:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocketbob

I just got a new Digital smoker and have used it 3 times. Each time the food
smells and tastes like it was dipped in creosote. The meat (pork,beef and
turkey) was smoked between one and two hours below 80 degrees and then
cooked for 2-3 hours at 200+ degrees.

I used maple or alder pucks as I thought these were the mildest. I also notice
that after eating the food, my throat burns a bit. I figure this can't be good!

Has anyone had this problem and were you able to correct it? I would hate to
have to give someone on Craiglist a deal on a smoker without exhausting
all possibilities.

Ontrack

It appears that you are cold smoking. You get a much more "distinct" smoke flavor when smoking at this low of a temperature, but still shouldn't taste like creosote. Are you putting water in the bowl to extinguish the pucks?

Habanero Smoker

I only had this problem once, when I over smoked some chicken thighs. The Bradley produces a very clean smoke, and the reason for the bisquette to only burn 20 minutes is to prevent the creosote taste. I have no knowledge of your experience with smoked foods. Everyone's tastes buds are different. So I need to ask several questions.

Did you season the smoker before using it?

Do you let the last bisquettes sit on the burning plate? If so you may want to get some bubba pucks.

What cuts of meat are you smoking? The the times and temperatures you give it looks like you are smoking/cooking thin cuts of meat. If that is so, you may want to use less smoke and apply the smoke at a higher temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

Is your damper open? Any smoker will make creosote if its allowed to smolder in a tightly sealed box.

KyNola

Another question, how long did you roll smoke on the food?  That can make a difference as well.  Before you put your BDS on Craigslist, post it here.  I could deal with a second one!

KyNola

bullsi1911

Is the meat cold when you start the smoke?  I have heard that cold food will help form creosote

rocketbob

Thanks for the input. I think I did most of the things you guys were suggesting. I am getting metal pucks and a Maverick Et-73.

I wonder if the problem is that the DBS produces to much smoke. The smoke smells very acrid and strong, not sweet like the smell from a fireplace fire.
Perhaps if I left the door partially open, the smoke inside would not be so
dense.

I smoked some home cured pork hocks and they were almost inedible (too
smokey). I boiled them for several hours ,changing the water several times)
and refrigerated them over night. They weren't bad, practically smoke free.
( kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise)

I'm not ready to give up yet but I think I will work from the other end,smoke for 20 minutes and then try the food. Hopefully, I can find an optimum.

I bought the DBS for cold smoking to see if I could produce back bacon and
lox as good as commercially made smoked food. Time will tell!

Thanks for your help.

Consiglieri

What about your vent: is it open enough that smoke isn't backing up through the generator, or is it closed and smoke isn't exhausting enough?

Another thought: change the water in the puck bowl when the smoking portion is finished. 
Consiglieri