wood for new york steak

Started by Toker, June 21, 2007, 07:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi there i found a recipie for steak new york style i know everything exept for the wood to use. his there someone for helping me sorry never made cold smoke steak before grilling them and id like to try thx here is the recipie http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=290&highlight=steak

West Coast Kansan

it is your steak and you will find what you like the best as you experiment  ;D For me, i have become increasing fond of Oak. Mild and middle of the road flavor.   ;) Works well with a lot of stuff.  8)

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Toker

thx man! i just never made steak yet and one of my friend wants it for his birthay since i spoke about my bradley for so long he wants to try it this way.

West Coast Kansan

I think the smoke flavor gets better with an overnight rest sealed up tightly in the fridge.  Seems to enhance the flavor.  Especially when doing a PR.   ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Toker

like i said never tried but it makes sens take exemple the cheese thats what we recommende. more than a night of couse but that seems to be the same principe.

Kell

A reminder to use ice in your water bowl.  I smoked some salmon a week ago and had a tough time keeping the smoke temp down w/ only the bisquette burner on.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: West Coast Kansan on June 23, 2007, 04:30:40 PM
I think the smoke flavor gets better with an overnight rest sealed up tightly in the fridge.  Seems to enhance the flavor.  Especially when doing a PR.   ;D

I beleive your on the $$ there WCK

nepas

IKnowWood

Now when we do a strip steak or T-Bone or porterhouse, we pre-smoke them before getting grilled.  Since its steak we use Mesquite or Hickory, depending what I got available.  Normally Mesquite

I pre-smoke for 2 or 3 pucks.  Then grilled to finish.

I used to do true cold smoked with offset, then with ice.  To much effort for a great steak.  What I do now, is with puck burner only, not using cabinet heat source, no pre-heat.  I turn it on with a puck on and put the steak in, sure the first put barely smolders, but by the second one its good.  I turn the steak once during smoke (also helps evacuate heat when I open the door).  Then I take it out after the hour and directly on the grill. 

Note, doing this Grill times are reduced greatly.  But the taste is really good.

Do not try this on Tenderloin, dries it out to much and tastes bad. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Ontrack

I cold smoke all my steaks now before I grill them. I either use 2 pucks of hickory, or 3 pucks of a milder wood, then vac seal and refrigerate overnight. Delicious!