• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Jerky

Started by jcdav00, January 20, 2008, 05:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcdav00

Hello all it has been a while since I have posted any messages or used my BS.  I was on the sidelines after back surgery.  Enough of the story lets get to the question.  I wanted to try out some beef jerky in my BS, but I am unsure on cooking temps, meat choice, curing, smoking time,etc.  If anyone or everyone can help the newbie I would be grateful.  One last thing, a huge thanks to Chez Bubba.  He helped me a great deal with my boneless ribs for my brother when he was coming back from overseas.  The best ribs he has ever had I was told, a great welcome home feast.  Anyway any help you can give I will be sending some jerky to him and his guys as they are to be redeployed soon.  Keep on smokin'!
Bob loves smokin'

MRH

jcdav00,

All I have done is venison jerky in mine, so as far of cuts I am no help ( I have done the whole deer into jerky though)  I usually use High Mountain jerky cures and really like the Cracked Pepper and Garlic one.  Real easy just follow the directions then smoke.  I usually run the Bradley at 170 to 180 degrees and after a couple hours start rotating the racks for more even cooking.  I usually let the smoke go for 3 or 4 hours, I like smoke ;D.  Usually there some pieces stsrting to get done around the 4 hour mark or a little soonerdepending on the size of jerky , weather temp etc.   I am sure there will be more help as there are a bunch of guys here who make lots of jerky and are pros at it.  Good Luck1

Mark

Ontrack

jc-I have made jerky since I was a kid, beef, venison, turkey,etc., but I've only done ground beef in the Bradley. I also love the High Mountain cures, and, like MRH, the Cracked Pepper and Garlic is my favorite. I have only used the Bradley for the smoke, with the cab temp of around 120, and then finish in the dehydrator. There are many jerky threads on the forum. I'm sure you can find you answers here. 

aha638

jcdav00, I have made beef jerky in my Bradley for quite a few years!  I use the Meat Man for my processes.  http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef.htm  He has a lot of tips and also the needed equipment and materials.  I buy Top Round and have the butcher slice it 1/4" thick.  I remove as much fat as possible to prevent it from going rancid. 

I marinate in my 10" square Food Saver marinating bowels for about 30 minutes and then smoke 210º until the beef is about 160º then Idrop the temp to about 150º until done.  I do rotate the shelves  (up and down and back to front) about ever hour.

Al

jcdav00

Thanks for the tips.  I checked out the meat man's website and there is quiet a bit of information.  Any other tips you can give I would be greatful.
Bob loves smokin'