1st Brisket (with pics)

Started by Zerolimits, January 23, 2008, 01:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zerolimits

Did my first brisket, after testing the Bradley out with a few chickens first.  Loved the chickens, but have read so much about brisket here, I had to try it.

Bought an 11lb beast from the local butcher.  Here's a picture of the whole thing...point and flat together, still in the vaccum pack.

I separated the point from the flat, cutting along the "fat line".  Here's a pic of the point.

And a pic of the flat (untrimmed).

Here are both pieces, separated and trimmed of fat.

Here are both slabs, smothered with the rub.  I used a brand of seasoning salt from BENDE (hungarian company).

A photo of the finished flat...

And after the cut...ready to be served.

I was real happy with my first attempt, as were the neighbors.  I cooked it at 215 for 13 hours/internal temp of 180, then FTC for 3 hours, before slicing.  When I do it again, I think I'll let it go a little longer/higher internal temperature.

Thanks for providing some great pointers for a newbie on this board.  I've been reading for the past 6 months, but haven't had much to add along the way.

ZL
~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~

}=)))))))'>

Mr Walleye

Looks great ZeroLimits!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Buck36

Brisket looks great! It is 6:45pm here and it is over two hours before I can leave to go home and eat.

.....these pictures are cruel.

Ontrack

Beautiful from start to finish, Zero. Thanks for the pics.

La Quinta

Looks awesome Zero...you need Ice sauce!! :)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Zerolimits,

Outstanding photos and outcome.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Zerolimits

Forgot to add that I smoked this for 3 hours, alternating maple and apple pucks.  Also spritzed with apple juice along the way.
~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~~~

}=)))))))'>

Consiglieri

Well timed post for me.  I'm trying to decide if I should cure a pastrami or smoke a brisket.  I think I know which way I'm leaning. 
Consiglieri

La Quinta

Consigs...do Habs pastrami...it's awesome!!!

Consiglieri

Ms. LQ: wholeheartedly agree that the pastrami is a fun, tasty project.  On top of which, I want to try the steam technique since my last try was very flavorful, but a bit dry.

All the same, thinking a little relative immediate results (12-15 hours instead of a 5 days plus those hours) coupled with these nice brisket pix make me want to try a little TX bbq.  Except the new snow is pretty tempting too.  I'll figure it out and report back.

Consiglieri

begolf25

Looks great! I haven't used the Bradley for weeks now and these pictures might have me at my butchers tomorrow..lol

Biggun

Quote from: Zerolimits on January 23, 2008, 01:42:22 PM

I was real happy with my first attempt, as were the neighbors.  I cooked it at 215 for 13 hours/internal temp of 180, then FTC for 3 hours, before slicing.  When I do it again, I think I'll let it go a little longer/higher internal temperature.

Thanks for providing some great pointers for a newbie on this board.  I've been reading for the past 6 months, but haven't had much to add along the way.

ZL

Looks great! Briskets vary greatly as to their tenderness temp. Test it with a temp probe or fork when you are at 180* or so...if a probe doesn't go in like a hot knife through butter, let 'er go for another 5* and try again. You'll get a better feel for the tenderness this way!