frozen brisket

Started by Fair-chase, January 22, 2008, 11:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fair-chase

I picked up a cyro packed choice packer cut brisket at my local butcher today. This sucker is 18 lbs. I thought I would just cut it in half smoke 1 half and freeze the other for another day. Then I remembered that I had read where you wern't supposed to BBq meat that had been frozen.

Will it be ok to BBQ another day after freezing or not?

Tiny Tim

I don't see a problem with freezing it and doing it later...in fact, never heard of such a thing as not being able to.  I think most of the meat I can get my paws on has been frozen at some point in time, even before I get ahold of it.

Wildcat

I do not see why not, especially if you vac seal it.

I would be more apt to smoke all of it and then freeze the unused portion so that it can just be reheated when you are ready for it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ontrack

The only brisket I have ever bought from a butcher was frozen, and it was the best one I"ve done. I usually buy from a grocer or Sam's, because the butcher (actually a slaughterhouse) is way out in the country, about a 1 hour drive round trip. So smoke that beast! Oh, and I'm not saying it was the best because it was frozen, but I would say because of the lack of preservatives (and who knows what else) that you would get from a grocer or Sam's.

Fair-chase

I wouldn'n think it would hurt anything either , but some of the BBQ articles from the BBQ champions say not to do it because the brisket won't be as moist or tender.

Since you guys have done it with success I'll freeze half for later. I want to get my brisket skills refined a little more before risking $39 at one time besides I'd be eating leftovers forever.

My next question is do I just cut the brisket straight across where it starts getting noticable thicker? Is this the flat and point?

manxman

I've seen an article on the net about (not) freezing pork before making / curing ham or bacon, in either case I don't see what the problem is?  :)
Manxman

Habanero Smoker

Freezing raw meat does cause cell damage, and when it is thawed it looses some juices. Cooking it will cause more juices to flow through the damaged cells. The amount of juice loss may be significant for competition cook offs, but not for the home smoker. But like Tiny Tim stated if it is cryovac it probably has been frozen. Unless you live near a slaughter house, chances are the meat in the display counter has been previously frozen. I have only been able to get hold of briskets that have been previously frozen, and had success with them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)