Chicken Confusion

Started by TDUKE, January 25, 2008, 04:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TDUKE

I have been searching through many posts for a good whole chicken recipie.  I find a lot of different opinions.
1st, temp- Some say turn smoker to highest temp others the 200F.
2nd, smoke time - I've seen anything from 1 1/2 to 3 hours.
3rd, finish in BS, oven or grill.

I realize that everyones taste is different so there will be variations. 

I guess I'm looking for the Chicken recipie for dummies.

Also what is the "OLDS" recipie for the bacon wrapped chicken breasts.

Thanks -Tom

Gizmo

The link below my post for recipes will take you to Old's recipe site.  Check it out for lots of great recipes.

Some of the reasonings behind the differing opinions:
Standard smoking is low and slow which is 200 deg.  Experience here has shown that low and slow creates rubber skin on chicken and turkey.  There appears to be a few techniques that may alter this issue such a wrapping the bird in cheese cloth.  Don't know for sure as I haven't done it. Smoke time is always going to be a big variable due to starting internal temperature of the bird, the actual temperature the bird is experiencing, the moisture content, ambient temperature outside, etc.  Cook to an internal temperature and when you reach it, it is done.  The finish in the oven or grill is to crisp up the skin so it is not rubbery.  The oven and grill get hotter and therefore can be more effective at finishing the bird.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Wildcat

You can also simply smoke skinless.  Bacon placed on top of it will help retain moisture and adds a bit of flavor to boot.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

TDUKE

Wow seems like bacon in the cure-all for a lot of things, ( not that its a bad thing ). What about leaving the skin on and bacon on top of the skin, or do you think the bacon flavor would not penetrate the skin and cause the skin to become nasty.  :P

Tom

La Quinta

No...no...TDUKE...you can smoke with the bacon on for a couple of hours (depending on the size of the bird)...take it's temp...even if it's not quite done put it in the oven and that lovely bacon will crisp as will the skin (on the bird) once the bacon renders it's fat (which it should do in the smoker anyway) you have a delicious bacon wrapped smoked chickie! Just be dilligent with the temp probe. :) Try it and let us know!!

kiyotei

I say in my posts that I had my smoker set to max temp.  However, if I look at the door thermometer it reads below 200 for at least an hour after putting in the chicken.  This is why I set the temp high.  If you live in a warmer climate than me, you may not need such high temps.  I'm in Seattle.

TDUKE

Thanks to all, things went well.  Only thing I would change next time would be to smoke longer.  It was a 6 pound bird and I smoked for 2 hours, probably could have used another 2 pucks.

Thanks, Tom