• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temperature Fluctuation

Started by sherlock, January 30, 2008, 11:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I have a DBS. I just recently bought a Maverick T73 and noticed for the first time just how much the temp fluctuates.

It was cool outside and I had the temp set at 200 deg's. The temp fluctuated between 172 and 208.

W O W what a spread. I never would have guessed this much variance.

Would a PID prevent this?

Tiny Tim

Once you get it dialed in with the Auto-tune and playing with the numbers a bit, yeah.  Just for kicks, put the smoker probe in your household oven and see what the temp swing is at 200* set temp.  I know mine had about 20* high to low variance, but it is an old electric oven/stove.

Ontrack

I did just that, Tiny Tim, when I read that suggestion on the forum when I first got my smoker. Even in an expensive oven less than 2 years old, there was a temp swing of over 15 degrees.

West Coast Kansan

Probably never thought it was that big because over time it doesn't really matter ... unless your into sausage etc wanting a really fine run up to 152.  :(

If I had a choice I would join the crowds wishing that bradley had used a PID for control. They shoulda and coulda - but over time it really doesn't matter. :D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

bigredsmoker

Did 3 butts last night and my fluctuation was from 172 to a high of 232. Kept changing my temp setting between 190 and 230 to try and regulate. I am seriously considering a PID for my DBS. And that was with no door opening. seriously, 60 degree swings. And I had a brick in the smoker.