• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Pork tenderloin recipes

Started by gillgetter, February 01, 2008, 08:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gillgetter

I would like to smoke a pork tenderloin. Looking for recipes. Nothing fancy for first time. what internal temp am I looking to hit?
Thanks

beefmann

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

good rub recipes for beef, chicken, turkey, pork
« on: January 25, 2008, 08:30:59 am »
   Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify Remove messageRemove
here is a good rub for most or all meats for beef, pork, turkey, chicken, ribs, or just about  anything  else

1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground thyme
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chile powder
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon mustard seed  ( if unable to find double up on ground mustard )
makes appros 1 /4 cup

meassure out all the above and place in a cup.. mix well and apply to the meat you  want to season, let  stand 10 mins and look for any  shinyness if shineyness appears reapply ( two or three coats are normaal ) and rub in

have used this recipe on turkey, chicken, tri tip, baby back ribs, ham, all have been tasty. also have used orange soda or rootbeer instead of water in the bottom catch dish

and I have cooked  pork ribs using the above recipeand cooked  until IT Hit 170  came out very tasty with rootbeer in the catch dish with 8 lbs taking 7 to 8 hours and 2 hours of hickory smoke total time 9 to 10 hours and watches internal temp...

gillgetter

Actually that is one of the recipes I found on here and wrote it down. Just curious to see what other "tried and true" ones are out there.
Guess I will put the smoker temp at 200-220 deg and run apple wood for 2 hrs and plan on approx another 2 hrs w/heat until I hit internal temp of 140 deg? sound about right?
I did see a recipe that used a strip of bacon placed on top of the loin...anyone try this? sounds like a good idea..

Habanero Smoker

For pork loin and pork tenderloin that is commercially produces in the States, I only take mine to an internal temperature of 145°F.

More more suggestions on rubs you should check out the recipe site.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gillgetter

W/rub going into smoker

Fresh out of smoker

out from FTC, Ready for table. Note smoke ring

Turned out pretty good for my first loin.

coyote

Hey Gillgetter , you forgot the most important thing..................How'd it taste??? ???
By the way , great pics.
                                                                          Coyote

Habanero Smoker

Hi Gillgetter;

Did you smoke that in the propane smoker? Or did you use a nitrite in your rub?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

gillgetter

Used my OBS. I used the above rub recipe but replaced the Kosher with Morton TQ (but more)
Flavor was good. everyone liked it. 
I would like to get feedback from you guys on this:
I applied the rub and put in fridge for 4 hours, then did a quick rinse, patted dry and smoked for 4 hours unit IT hit 150 then wrapped in foil and let it sit for a hour.
I realize I didnt let it sit with rub in fridge for very long, but I didn't want it to get to salty for my first time. Next time I might try letting it sit w/rub a lot longer just to see what the difference in taste is.
I will probally also try just a Morton TQ brine as some have done.

Mr Walleye

gillgetter

I just wanted to clarify. In your post you refereed to rinsing the rub off before putting it into the smoker. I just wanted to check to see if this was a typo or if you did rise the rub off?

Mike

Edit
Ok... I just reread you post and see you replaced the Kosher Salt with Morton TQ. I guess that would be why you rinsed.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

You can't get a "smoke ring" (also know as a pink ring) in an electric smoker; it can only be obtained by a chemical reaction when slow cooking using a fossil fuel; such as wood; propane or natural gas. It is not caused by smoke. You can also get a pink ring if you slow cook over a gas grill or in a gas oven. Also a "smoke ring" doesn't penetrate that deep.

What you have is generally called a "false smoke ring". The reddish color is caused by the nitrite in the TQ that causes a similar chemical reaction as if it were slow cooked over a fossil fuel. You apply the cure for a short period of time, so you only obtain a reddish ring on the outer edges of the meat. Letting it cure longer, the nitrite will penetrate deeper and the meat would be reddish all the way through. That is a technique used by some to give the appearance of a "smoke ring". The nitrite will also give the pork a bacon or ham like flavor. If you use TQ, you should rinse the cure off prior to cooking, as you did.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

gillgetter

Thank you for clarifying that! My error in calling it "smoke ring". I think it was a nice "fast" way option to do a loin. Next time I will try the med of soaking in MTQ/water for a few days.

beefmann

I  prepaare it the night befor apply it to the meat around 5 ish in the  evening leave it on and sit in the fridge. then pull it out at about  6 am and warm up at about 8 am smoke for 2 hours, finally turn off the  smoke and turn on the heat at 195 till  it hits 170 on pork and  typically i use 2 table spoons of paprika, salt, garlic and ground mustard with the above recipe.

gillgetter

Do you soak it in fresh water from the fridge? or rinse?

beefmann

gillgetter,

i dont soak or rinse, i use the recipe and once in the smoker and after the smoke I use orange juice or orange soda or rootbeer in the catch pan ( bisquette pan ) for the whole cook time useally about a  quart or  quart and half is plenty for a 7 to 9 hour cook typically in my efforts a 10 lb piece of meat is at  my  disered temp of 165 to 170... and a smoker  temp of 195. Also the only time that i open the  door is right  after the smoke to add the fluid and once again about  half way through to check the fluid.

typically about a pint and half at  first then the ballance halfway through