Brisket for The Superbowl

Started by Kane, February 02, 2008, 03:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane

Hey Guys,

I got a 7.5 pound Brisket Im smoking for the big game. I wanna eat like around 4:00 or 5:00. Ive never done one before so what time should I start this baby tonight?  Id like it to be at 190 IT and out to FTC at like 2:00pm

turley

I just did a 7.5lb last weekend and will give you my thoughts...

Put it in at around 10-11pm at 210, fattest side up, middle rack, set the smoke for 4 hours with mesquite or hickory and go to bed.....biggest thing is to remember that you shouldn't worry about it being almost done when you wake up.  Its not even close at that point.  That is what worried me the most and kept me up, losing sleep when I first did it.  I worried about over cooking it and worried for no reason.  It is a slow, worthwhile process.

Around 6am, change the water and leave it alone other than a quick apple cider mopping or spraying.  It will probably be around 160 or so when you wake up, but you have a long way to go.  Around 11am it will be hovering around 185 and should do so until around 1-2pm.  At that point, it will finally reach 190 and after that, pull it from the Bradley, FTC it for 2-3 hours and be prepared....it will be amazing!

We had dinner at 5pm and it was hot, moist and simply perfect.  In fact, I am doing a brisket and a Butt tonight for the superbowl tomorrow and will be warming up the Bradley shortly.

Hope that helps

Turley

Kane

hey turley,

thanks for your input. I was actually thinking around 10:00 so Ill go with that time. will be interesting to see how close your estimate is. Im going ice fishing for a few hours in the morning so Ill give it a apple juice spritz and refresh the water bowl before I leave.

Kane

chuckles. pretty good estimate so far Turley.  Im at the 8 hour mark - 5:45am and the temp is 166. Apple juiced it quick and changed water bowl. now Im going ice fishing. see if I can get a few northerns or better yet walleyes.  ;D

Kane

unfortunately Im at 190 IT about 2 hours earlier than I wanted. Went to FTC at 10:30. how long can I safely hold this? would 4 1/2 hours be pushin it?

Wildcat

It should be fine.  If you have doubts, wrap in foil and place in oven with low heat.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Done longer myself.  Longest I went was about 7 hours.  I had it in a new cooler that indicated it did well hot or cold.  It was heated with hot water before putting the food in.  This was at 11 AM.  At 1:00 PM, I pulled out the first brisket and we had it for lunch (along with turkey and other things).  at 6:00 PM or so, pulled the second brisket which was still hot and almost falling apart.  Made great sandwiches.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Kane

Brisket was ok. It had a very good flavor with the Hickory/Apple wood smoke but was a lil dry in my opinion. I ended up doing a 3 hour FTC with apple juice added.   next time I think Ill give it a foil boat after smoke and pullin it at 185 IT

kiyotei

careful pulling it early at 185.  It really will affect the tenderness of the brisket.  I don't think I've ever pulled one at that temp that wasn't still a bit tough.  I find bigger briskets work better (stay moister).  I like 9 lbs.  that said, every piece of meat is different so you could have had a dry one.  Also, before smoking, take a fork and stab the fat cap side all over making sure the fork penetrates the meat.  This allows the fat to flow into the meat as its cooking.  This helps to flavor and moisturize the meat while it smokes.  I never add any juice to my brisket while it smokes and they are almost never dry.

Kane

thanks for the tips. I take everything into consideration when it comes to BBQ ;D