Bisquettes through the mail.

Started by yul, February 06, 2008, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yul

Hi Mike, finally got the fuse added to the PID today. Gave it a run in the basement plugged into then smoke box. I used a low temp just to try it out. It reached the set point then the red light on the smoke box went out but it took quite a while for the box to cool down again (not a problem if it was outside today).
I am going to try and find the thread about doing the auto tune, and run it outside tomorrow. The Aubins instructions sound very complicated and I am sure someone here has simplified them .
Another quickie, can you change the readout to read in C° or does everyone just use the F° . I have looked through the instructions but cannot find any reference to changing them. ???
Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

Brian

It can be set to read C. If you look on page 12 of your manual, number 6.14 - COOL Setting.

Something else you can set if you are changing it to Celsius is there is a decimal point setting if you are displaying temp in Celsius. The setting is called dp and is on page 11, number 6.9

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

yul

Phew....got it... I had all sorts of numbers flashing... :-\ but it now reads in C.
So,now for auto tune. Do I get "AT" showing on the readout and then "2" :-\
I was going to auto tune with an empty box but was wondering if this was correct?
Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

Brian

The way I had the most success was running the auto tune with a load in. You can simulate a load by using bricks or something like that. I did mine while I was doing a butt. The other thing you want to do is preheat to within 10 degrees of your target temp before switching on the auto tune. To turn on the auto tune it is AT=2. If you normally run your smoke generator you should make sure it is on as well during the auto tune. Set your vent to a typical setting you would normally use. I used 210 degrees for a setting when I tuned mine. During the tune you will see it over shoot and under shoot about 3 times. It usually takes about a half hour or so.

Mike

yul

Mike,
The auto tune will have to wait awhile then until I can get the OBS set up on the deck . The weather here is a never ending cycle of snow days, plus 4° today but 15 – 20 cm of snow and -4° forecast for Wednesday. I have a shed in the back garden that I will be able to use as a shelter once I can get to it. ;D
Regarding the running temp of 210°, do you maintain that with just the oven. With the PID in place I was going to unplug the smoker unit once smoking was over to save the bisquette feed mechanism.
The idea of the bricks makes sense. I have seen some ceramic tiles that are used in BBQ units and was thinking of putting a few on the bottom rack ,allowing for circulation of course.
I have also seen "fire bricks" that are used to line wood burning stoves and I think they are a cheaper option.

Brian.
Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

Brian

I hear ya on the weather! We are supposed to get snow tonight.
With my setup in the heated garage I can maintain my heat in the tower with just the tower heater without much problem. The only time I wish I had a little more btu's is when I have a big load. I think the idea of using a fire brick or two makes good sense. I'm sure it would help with the recovery times. I don't use any but certainly lots of people on the forum do and say it helps a fair bit with recovery.

Mike