Smoke with fish?

Started by dortman, February 18, 2008, 04:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dortman

Smoke with fish?

Has anyone ever smoked anything else with fish? Starting to run the freezer supply down and this morning had only taken out enough salmon for three racks. Any ideas on what else might smoke well with fish and not ruin the flavor? Top rack or bottom rack?

Also, how long do you think smoked fish will keep in the refrigerator vacuum-sealed?

In the past I've always done straight smokes, all fish, all turkey, etc.

Thanks!
Dave

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I have not yet smoked any fish, but if memory serves me on what others have said, you should be able to smoke other items with fish (probably below the fish) without any trouble.  There are several big time fish smokers on here that should chime in before long.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

dortman;

Welcome to the forum.

I've never smoked fish with anything else. The only reason I haven't done so is because I use a different smoking/cooking technique for fish then I would for other foods. As Wildcat stated, there are plenty who do fish on a regular basis, and may they will be able to answer your question.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I have hot smoked a lot of fish and always stick to fish only, partly as HS says regarding smoking/cooking techniques but also because fish odour tends to taint things it comes into contact with and I have never really fancied fish flavoured ribs etc!  :D

Also likely to get fish oil/juices dripping on meat or vice versa depending on rack position also adding to possible cross contamination.

Cold smoking is not as bad, I have added non fish items when cold smoking fish.
Manxman

Kummok

My experience is the same as Habs and Manx.....I have never mixed fish in the smoker with other "guests"! Never sounded like a good idea, taste-wise, to me. Hopefully, some other "smoker segregationist" that actually HAS will chime in with experienced counsel?!?!?

iceman

I did mix some silvers with a couple of steaks I was going to smoke for a spell then grill.
Key word here is "WAS".
I didn't realize when I moved the racks around I dripped salmon oil on the steaks.
Dogs loved it!!! Yummie Chummies move over. The Salmon / ribeye combo is a cannine hit.
Kind of expensive dog food though.
Fish turned out great, so did the pizza!  ;D
I'd say don't mix and match on this one.

dortman

Thanks all, that's what I figured, I hadn't mixed anything yet. But you never know, eh.