• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Time Virgin Brisket Smoker :-[ Advice Needed

Started by EnglishGuy, February 29, 2008, 08:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tturaider

Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

EnglishGuy

Well, I've now done my second brisket.

This time, it was a flat, and about 8lb.  I noted the comments above about it being a bit on the 'rare' side. Remember, I've never eaten an 'authentic' one, so am doing this from books/internet.  This time, I extended the smoking from 5 hours to 8 hours, and then moved it to the oven, and raised the temperature slightly in the oven. Total cooking time was reduced by an hour to 23 hours (although it was probably 'done' a couple of hours before this, but I was still in bed.

I then wrapped it in foil, bagged it, and put it in a coolbox packed with newspaper, and then drove it 40 minutes through the Easter traffic on London ring road to my brother's house. We ate it about four hours after it came out of the oven and it was awesome!

Sadly no pictures.

Wildcat

Congradulations.  It is not fair to not post pictures for us to drool over.  :'(  Seriously though, I am glad it turned out great for you.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Brabus

So most of you guys only put the brisket in the Bradley for 4.5 - 5 hours?

I think that's where I'm going wrong... because my brisket always comes out dry. So I should move it into the oven then??

Gizmo

There are many here that go start to finish in the Bradley with great results.  For me,  I will wrap mine in foil, actually I put it in a foil roasting pan and cover it with a foil lid, after the smoke has finished rolling.  I then place it in the oven for convenience.  You can place it back into the Bradley if you want.  There are a lot of factors for getting a great result from smoking a brisket.  Some of those factors you can control, such as heat, and time.  There are many factors you can't control as well, such as composition of meat, fat content, age, etc.  There are some differences with Temp and Time that can cause meat to dry out.  For me the foil wrapping seems to level some of those factors out a bit.  I have seen several competition cooks on the tube where they have shown the comp Quers wrapping in foil as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

NePaSmoKer

Great job englishguy.
Just need some crusty rolls to go with it  ;D

nepas