FlBentRider's Polenta

Started by FLBentRider, February 29, 2008, 05:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

FlBentRider's Polenta (adapted from Good Eats Savory Polenta) ((Goes REAL well with a pulled pork butt)

4 of 5 Strips of Pork Bacon (I use Hickory Smoked)
1 cup finely chopped red onion
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 quart chicken stock or broth
1 cup coarse ground cornmeal (Not the fine ground stuff)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 ounces Parmesan, grated
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large, oven-safe saucepan fry bacon until crisp. Set aside bacon. Add the red onion and salt to the bacon dripping. and sweat until the onions begin to turn translucent, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the garlic, and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, making sure the garlic does not burn.

Dice the bacon. Turn the heat up to high, add the chicken stock and the diced bacon, bring to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal while continually whisking. Once you have added all of the cornmeal, cover the pot and place it in the oven.

Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent lumps. Once the mixture is creamy, remove from the oven and add the butter, salt, and pepper. Once they are incorporated, gradually add the Parmesan while stirring, a little at a time, until it is all incorporated.

Serve as is, or pour the polenta into 9 by 13-inch cake pan lined with parchment paper.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

iceman

That sounds good flbentrider. I like to take polenta and fry it a bit then toss some cajun fried shrimp and marinera sauce on top and chow down. Also the same filling for chicken tamales served over the polenta is good too. Kind of a tamale outside the shell.
Thanks for posting the recipe for us.

Habanero Smoker

That recipe does look good. In a few hours I will start smoking 5.5 pounds of chaurice sausage (pronounce shore-EEZE). I will crumble some cooked sausage and use that instead of bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)