How Much Smoke DBS?

Started by Renegade, March 08, 2008, 12:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade

I just ordered a DBS 6 Rack & need to know the amount of smoke the thing will output as I live on the 2nd floor of a 3 story Condo. I will be using the Smoker on my outside deck (only place I can use it). Can I expect the Neighbor above me or the Neighbors around me to call the Fire Department on me when I open the top vent all the way or is the Bradley Smoker a well rounded unit that the Neighbors will not freak out cause the Bradley Smoker produces minimal smoke even at all-out smoke setting? I want my smoked meat and to eat it too (without any BS from the Neighbors) - LOL!

Habanero Smoker

Hi Renegade;

I forgot to welcome you to the forum.

Even with the vent wide open and opening the door, my experience is that the visible smoke will pretty much displace itself by the time it reaches the woman on the third floor. Though the smoker produces minimal smoke, the problem you may have is the aroma of the smoke and food that will reach the woman upstairs and possible your other neighbors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ontrack

Renegade, as I stated in your other post, in my opinion, the DBS will produce quite a bit of smoke. My smoker sits on a patio underneath a wooden deck.  When smoking on a calm day with no wind, you can't sit on the deck above the smoker. It will either burn your eyes or at the very least make you smell like smoke.

Renegade

Good stuff reference my situation- Thanks for your replies! I would like everyone to know that because of what I have read her on the Forums, I have purchased 3 "Bubba Pucks" & 4 non-stick Jerky Racks. Man you guys like spending my money - LOL!

Renegade

Got First Smoke going right now (the seasoning process)!!! After the Seasoning Process comes the real First Smoke of a Beef Brisket (10 Hrs Worth)! I live in a Condo Complex & must say, so far in the First Smoke Preheat Process, I am Okay with the Minimal Smoke that is produced (top closure 99% closed)! If I look out from my deck, I do not see a cloud of smoke, which is very good. Kinda smells like someone has there fireplace going (we have fireplaces in our Condo Complex). That is a good thing, I was worried about too much smoke & the Fire Department being called on me! I am still a bit concerned about the amount of smoke if I am smoking Jerkey, as the top must be almost wide open to avoid moisture, so that may be a problem in the Condo Complex. I am thinking for the Jerkey, not so much of a problem, cause, I can put the smoke to the Jerkey Meat regardless of moisture & get the smoke in the meat & then take the meat to finish on my Dehydrator! Anyway, my first real smoke is about to began on the BDS (I have been wanting for 3 1/2 Yrs) and I am excited & hope my Beef Brisket turns out really good. I would like some feedback on how often I should check in on the Brisket & how often I should change the Water in the bowl.

West Coast Kansan

Closing the top vent is not a solution for you.  Smoke and moisture will back up into the generator and ruin the unit.  Keep the top vent open at least enough that there is no evidence of smoke leakage between the generator and the tower units.  Good luck with the lady upstairs!

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Ontrack

I would change the water in the bowl as soon as the smoke is finished. I leave the door closed except when changing the water and a quick apple juice spritz every hour or so after changing the water.

Renegade

West Coast Kansan & Ontrack - Thank you for the information - I did keep the top vent closed & got tons of moisture & had a 10 hr Brisket cook. Hope I didn't ruin anthing!!! The Brisket came out very good (nice & moist) for my first try!