Pucks not burning

Started by CC Smoker, December 30, 2007, 06:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 26, 2008, 03:57:52 AM
There is no timer adjustment that can lengthen the time the bisquette will burn on the plate. According to Bradley the 20 minutes (plus or take a minute or two) is the optimal time you want to burn the bisquettes, so they won't produce gases, acids and resins which can give the food a harsh smoke flavor.

Maybe someone with some electronic background may have an idea of how you may modify the advance motor, but I don't think the risk will outweigh any possible savings.

I have to agree with Hab on the modify issue.
I bypassed the original timer and installed an Omron solid state variable timer on one of my generators just to see what longer times would do.
The time and cost ($70.00) to me would never be worth it in puck savings. I only ended up with a max of 4 minutes extra burn time on the first puck and less time as cycles went on because of the burn plate getting up to temp.
Heck I think the generator would wear out before it payed back the cost of the timer.  :D ;)
Just my 2 cents.

Stickbowcrafter

Yep, my pucks hold their shape but are completely black. Seems to make sense that allowing them to burn further would only bring unwanted flavors to the product.

-Brian

mcanik

I timed the advance on mine and got 20min give or take a few secs. First puck only half charred after that all others were good and black. All is good for me now. All I need is spacer pucks so I don't burn smoking pucks  when the smoke is done because I am cheap.

Wildcat

Preheat the puck burner and you will not have a partially spent one at all.  ;)
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Stickbowcrafter