• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Makin bacon

Started by flipperz71, March 28, 2008, 03:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Are they loins or tenderloins?

By the sounds of the size it sounds like a tenderloin.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

yul

:D That's it...no more drinking at night. I just went and checked them and they are labeled pork loin and when I measured them with my trusty rule they are 2 ½ to 3 inches thick and weigh 1kg each. My powers of guesstimation are severely hampered by the euphoria of getting a chance to use the BS. {Nah.. it's the wobble pops again..)   ::)  ;D
Brian. Montreal.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: yul on March 29, 2008, 05:25:18 PM
:D That's it...no more drinking at night. I just went and checked them and they are labeled pork loin and when I measured them with my trusty rule they are 2 ½ to 3 inches thick and weigh 1kg each. My powers of guesstimation are severely hampered by the euphoria of getting a chance to use the BS. {Nah.. it's the wobble pops again..)   ::)  ;D

:D LMAO  ;D

I think you will want to go 6 or 7 days according to Habs information he has posted. It really is simple. The hardest part is after it's all done... and waiting 2 days to try it!  ;)

I actually made it 2 days..... Once!  ::)

Mike

Habanero Smoker

I try to purchase the whole loin, and they average 3 to 4 inches in thickness. So I agree with Mike, you should cure them for 6 days. I prefer the sirloin end (the end of the loin that attaches to the ham) for Canadian bacon, but it seems when they cut to loin in half, the price goes up at least $1.00 per pound. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

flipperz71

I deal with a small butcher/grocer and he usually has the pork loins on sale for $1.59/lb.  Free cuts also,  Usually costs me $18-$25 for a whole loin cut into chops/roasts/country ribs and I have him ground the scraps for suasage making.  If you deal with a small town butcher you will find that you are getting better quality. Price might be a couple cents more a pound, but it is worth it in my eyes.  Also, I try to stock up on my pork in October when the price is really cheap.  I wrap it really good and it will last me until the mid/late summer.  But know that I am a smokaholic, I might have to double the order  ;D.  Just picked up some ribs today for the smoker.  I need to double check my PID  ;)  ;)

flip

Weekend Griller

Hello everyone. I have been checking out  all the different recipes and techniques for smoking for at least 2 years now. It is time for me to speak out and say how helpful all these articles have been and how they have made me into a smoker maniac. My family and neighbors can't wait for the weekend to arrive to  see what I will be preparing next.
This Candian bacon recipe is absolutely fantastic. Did 4 tenderloins up and sad to say they did not last the week. Incredible.

Mr Walleye

Hi Weekend Griller and welcome to the forum.

Tons of info here on the forum for sure!  ;)

Mike

yul

:) I have finally started the Canadian bacon.  I am using Habs recipe and his replacement for Morton's TQ.. The pork loin weighs 2 ½ pounds and is on it's first day of curing in the fridge. Got two more loins in the freezer so if this one turns out OK I will go into full production. ;)
Let's see now, that makes it next Sunday evening for the rinse, then dry overnight, that means I should be smoking it on Monday evening. Hope the weather co operates. Any idea's on how long it should take to get up to the required 150 F  :-\
Brian. Montreal.

FLBentRider

Mine only took 3 to 5 hours to get to 150, depending on how much meat was in the OBS
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Welcome Weekend...canadian bacon is not my gig...but you have attracted the experts!! Nice to have ya here!! :)