want to make canadian bacon.

Started by jakomatic20, January 15, 2008, 07:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

ok thx i understood thx for explainations

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: acords on March 30, 2008, 06:50:15 AM
Quote from: toker1313 on March 30, 2008, 05:51:44 AM
Hi guys just wondering if i could put insta cure numer 2 instead of morton quick? thx

No, #2 is used for things that you want to hang and dry.  It has Nitrate and Nitrite as well as salt.  You can probably use #1, but you need to cut down on the quantity.  MTQ you would use 1 TBL per pound, and #1 you would use around 1/4 tspn per pound.  Hopefully Habs will chime in here and correct me if I am wrong.

That is an accurate measure for a pound, but when you get closer to 5 pounds then it becomes 1 teaspoon. If you are doing a dry rub it is difficult to apply that small amount so it best to make the Basic Dry Cure and apply it 1 tablespoon per pound.

Toker;
I think I understand your question about using InstaCure #2, instead of InstaCure #1 in the Basic Dry Cure Recipe. Although TQ has both nitrite and nitrates, substituting InstaCure #2 in the Basic Dry Cure recipe will not give your the same nitrite/nitrate ratio that is in TQ. As Mike stated you don't need a nitrate for cured foods that will be cooked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Toker

after all guys, i only made a mistake >:( i only use cure number 1 thats all i have at home but thx for the lesson anyway. TQ is unavailaible in my area and the shippind price online is quite expansif. Also thx for basic cure recepie