First brisket of the year

Started by kiyotei, April 03, 2008, 09:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiyotei

I finally did a brisket today.  I've been doing chicken all winter because they are much faster to do.  Seattle weather is not so smoker friendly in the winter:(  I'm taking it to work tomorrow so I'll let you know how it turned out.  I was kinda dissapointed that I could only get a 7.5lb brisket from my meat guy.  Normally he has bigger ones.  I like em about 9lbs.  I did my usual rub and slather.  I rub on spice mix then coat with spicey yellow mustard made by the folks who brought us Tabasco sauce.  Its really good stuff.  I smoked for 6 hours with a mix of hickory and mesquite.  I then wrapped in foil and placed in the oven at 230 for about another 5-6 hours.  I took it out around 6 pm.  It was nice and tender.  The instant read thermometer was reading about 206.  I'm so used to the big briskets taking a long time I was surprised to see this one done.  Sorry no pics this time.

Habanero Smoker

Your coworkers are in for a treat.

I love the Tabasco brand mustards. No store sells them in my area, so I have to purchase them on-line.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kiyotei

Yea I do too.  I bought it on a wim and love it on my brisket.

iceman

Quote from: kiyotei on April 04, 2008, 08:13:13 AM
That mustard sounds real interesting. I'll have to order some of that. I love mustards of all kinds.
Thanks for the post.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: iceman on April 04, 2008, 10:09:48 AM
Quote from: kiyotei on April 04, 2008, 08:13:13 AM
That mustard sounds real interesting. I'll have to order some of that. I love mustards of all kinds.
Thanks for the post.

All three of their mustard varieties are good. If you do order off their site, you gotta try the pickled okra. :P

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kiyotei

The brisket turned out great and dissapeared quickly.  I added one step this time, I stabbed the top of the brisket (fat cap) many times with a fork penetrating the meat.  This is suppose to allow the fat to melt into the meat as it cooks and keep it moist as well as add flavor.  I'm not sure if it helped or not.

iceman

Glad it turned out. Time to put mine in for tomorrows lunch.