• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Remote Thermometer

Started by lumpy, April 01, 2008, 01:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

I've noticed that alot of smokers have a temperature probe inserted into the meat for a constant IT temp.
What I would like to know is: The cord from the thermometer, is it just sandwiched between the door gasket or have some of you drilled a hole in the smoker wall to pull the cord out.
Lumpy

pensrock

lumpy,
  Some run it through the door and allow the gasket to seal around it and others run it down through the top vent.
pensrock

Gizmo

Like Pensrock mentioned both.  The door gasket is easier when rotating racks and removing them.  Through the vent prevents the vent from completely closing and causing smoke backup into the generator.  I have done both and now mostly go between the seal and box.  The seal is still good enough that it does not affect the smoke process.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

I usually run mine down the vent, but that can make rotating racks tricky. Sometimes I use the door. My door seal is not all that great anyway.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

I run mine through the vent. After you learn your smoker better you won't need to insert the meat probe until the last few hour(s). This makes rotating the racks much easier.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I do the vent too! I usually hot smoke with the vent about half to 3/4 open...so it's no big deal. But I live in a warmer climate and have no issue keeping the box temp up...I assume if you live in colder weather, and are smoking outside, the box temp can drop if it were kept that open? Just asking?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: La Quinta on April 01, 2008, 05:12:49 PM
I do the vent too! I usually hot smoke with the vent about half to 3/4 open...so it's no big deal. But I live in a warmer climate and have no issue keeping the box temp up...I assume if you live in colder weather, and are smoking outside, the box temp can drop if it were kept that open? Just asking?

:D I think there's a dig in there somewhere LQ.  :D  ;D

Mine is located in a warmer climate too LQ!  :D

I run mine through the door which makes any rack rotations easier. I agree with Habs that once you catch onto the timing you really don't need to put the meat probe in until closer to the end of the smoke.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Thanks for all the information guys!
BTW I live in Ontario, which just had a record snowfall this season. I think I will run the cable through the door since it sounds alot easier. Once I become a smoke God and will be able to guesstimate the temp, I will not need to do this.
Lumpy

La Quinta

Who? Me Fish man Mike?...No way...

Consiglieri

Right through the vent, at least that's the practice in sunny, warm, central California.   ;D
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

I sure have not mastered the art of determining the Internal Temp just by looking at the food...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on April 02, 2008, 06:02:46 PM
I sure have not mastered the art of determining the Internal Temp just by looking at the food...

I haven't either. :)

After you use the smoker for awhile you get a general idea of how long it will take for a piece of meat to finish. For example; if you know butts take you an average of 10 to 12 hours, then stick the probe in at the 8 or 9 hour mark.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)