• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Plastic is cracking on control box

Started by buckeye2, April 05, 2008, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckeye2

Hello

I have a Bradley Original smoker and the plastic control panel is all cracked after just 4-5 uses.
Has any one else had this problem?

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

If you are referring to the plastic housing that houses the temperature control that is a common defect. If your smoker is new notify Bradley for a new housing.

One member believes that this is a design error, and the crack happens due to the stress cause by the weight of meat loaded in the cabinet. He suggested taking the stress off the front of the smoker. The best way is to raise the front of the smoker by about 1/4". Raise the cabinet at a point where the weight will be resting on the bottom of the smoker; behind the legs. Also raising it will help prevent moisture from leaking out of the bottom of the door, and possibly seeping into the area that houses the temperature circuit board. I did this after replacing mine, and haven't had a problem since.

In the mean time, you can seal it with a silicon sealer. I believe the one that DAP makes is safe for incidental food contact.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 06, 2008, 03:12:29 AM
If you are referring to the plastic housing that houses the temperature control that is a common defect. If your smoker is new notify Bradley for a new housing.

One member believes that this is a design error, and the crack happens due to the stress cause by the weight of meat loaded in the cabinet. He suggested taking the stress off the front of the smoker. The best way is to raise the front of the smoker by about 1/4". Raise the cabinet at a point where the weight will be resting on the bottom of the smoker; behind the legs. Also raising it will help prevent moisture from leaking out of the bottom of the door, and possibly seeping into the area that houses the temperature circuit board. I did this after replacing mine, and haven't had a problem since.

In the mean time, you can seal it with a silicon sealer. I believe the one that DAP makes is safe for incidental food contact.

I agree...and make sure you replace it soon or seal it up. Any juices that run out the bottom of the door will short you out.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

westexasmoker

I too now have the crack issue with the front panel, when you say raise it by 1/4 in. and the weight of cabinet not resting on the front legs how to do you do this...say sit it on a 2 x 4 or what??

Thanks

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Mine has been cracked since the second use.  I have not bothered to seal it up since I store it indoors, but I do elevate the front when smoking.  I use a wooden 36 inch ruler to raise it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

Is that resting on the legs or under the cabinet, bradley was excellent and are sending out a new one tommorrow, but I don't want the new one to crack also!  Mine lives outside, strapped down to my cart (west texas wind)...I always over complicate things...but help under the cabinet or under the legs!!

Thanks

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Westex

I don't have the OBS but as I understand it the front legs are integrated into the front plastic panel. A number of members felt this in itself was part of the issue. I believe you want to slightly elevate the front of the OBS by supporting it away from the plastic panel. I'm sure you could make a couple of front legs and attach them.

Again, I don't own an OBS so hopefully others will confirm this. I have a DBS and they have all four rubber feet under it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: westexasmoker on April 24, 2008, 03:42:49 PM
I too now have the crack issue with the front panel, when you say raise it by 1/4 in. and the weight of cabinet not resting on the front legs how to do you do this...say sit it on a 2 x 4 or what??

Thanks

C
You can use a variety of materials, because the heat in that area is minimal. You don't want to use a 2x4 because it is too high and too wide (unless you just want to relieve the stress on the front legs only, then you can place 2x4's in the front and rear, raising the whole unit). I use a 1x1, you don't want to wood to be too wide. Place the wood just behind the front legs, and that should give you the proper height. Also you don't want the front much higher then a 1/4". If you need to further adjust you can cut up wood paint stirrers and place them to either raise the front further or under the back legs if the front is too high. Wooden shims may also work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)