• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Original vs Digital

Started by quebecrc, April 09, 2008, 05:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quebecrc

Hi i'm new here

I'm from Quebec and i'm french...so excuse my english! I want to know What are the advantages and the inconveniences of each. It is really advantageous to go with the digital. I hope you understand my topic it's very Difficult for me.

Thank's

manxman

Hi quebecrc and welcome to the forum.

I am sure everyone understands what you are asking, your English looks fine to me.  :)

I have the Original Stainless Steel Bradley Smoker with no modifications and it does exactly what I want from a smoker. The extras I have purchased are the jerky racks which to me are much better than the racks supplied as standard with the smoker, a Maverick ET 73 thermometer and some Bubba Pucks.

It hot smokes food very well and is probably a bit easier to use as a cold smoker than the digital, an extra cable needs purchasing to be able to cold smoke on a digital.

I find the temperature control on the Original is fine and you soon get the hang of the temperatue slide control after a few smokes, however quite a few people here have modified their original's themselves to enhance performance. There is plenty of information / help here on the forum if you decide that is the way to go.

There are minor (IMHO) advantages and disadvantages to either and I am sure others will chip in to promote the digital version!

I am sure whichever you go for you will not be disapointed, if I had to make a choice now that a digital version is available I would still stick with my original choice.

Hope this helps, let us know what you decide.  ;) :)
Manxman

quebecrc

Thanks manxman

It is really cool to have a fast answer and i announce you when i make my choice.

3rensho

Bonjour quebecrc,

I've got an OBS in black.  After a year I did add a PID and it is now perfect IMHO.  Does everything I could ask of a home smoker.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

iceman

OBS and PID here too. Plus custom built with OBS generators and PID's. Very happy with the set ups.

quebecrc

Thank but what is PID and IMHO ???

Mr Walleye

Hi Quebecrc and welcome to the forum from a fellow Canuck!

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

The PID is a temperature control device you can build as many other members here have. It will control your temp in either a OBS or a DBS to within a degree or two. Here is a link to a write up on building one.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=504#post504

Also, if you click on the smoker in the bottom of my post it will take you to the Olds recipe site. It has tons of tried and true recipes for the Bradley.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

quebecrc

Big Dawgg

I have the digital and am happy with it. If I was to do it all over again I would probably buy the original and put a  PID on it. As it is I will add a PID in the future.

All is good with smoked food.
Dawgg

Buck36

I have the Original and love it. The PID is interesting but I do not have one installed. I have had little problems and would buy the exact same thing again.

Rookietoo

I have the digital version and love it.  I never had an OBS.  But I love the digital.  It is very user friendly.  I do wish Bradley had enclosed more recipes with the smoker but this form has filled in quite a bit of the gaps.  Which ever one you choose you can't go wrong.  My husband wasn't to sure he was on board with me when we bought the smoker, but now during the week he is like what are we smoking this weekend.  He truely loves the taste. ;D

La Quinta

Hey Roookie and quebec...I have an OBS and love it...no PID...I suppose when I get as good as these other peeps...I may make that investment!!! Other then that...I love it...easy to use and fun!!

Ontrack

Quote from: Rookietoo on April 09, 2008, 06:16:29 PM
  My husband wasn't to sure he was on board with me when we bought the smoker, but now during the week he is like what are we smoking this weekend.  He truely loves the taste. ;D

Sounds just like the wife, Rookie.It's always blahblahblahcoststoomuchblahblahordingmoreblahblahturkeyorjerkyorporkorbrisketorfishorcheeseorribsorchickenorISITREADYYET?? Beleive, me, he'll come around... ;D

La Quinta

Ok...Ontrack the bait is in the H2O...will I bite is the question???!!! :)

Ontrack

Enjoy picking at me, don't you LQ? If I have a weakness, you'll have to find it on your own...many have tried... ;)