Smoke then convection oven

Started by bushman, April 22, 2008, 03:51:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I have been extreamly happy with my new convection oven on how it cooks beef roasts so juicy. So I wanted to post to all of you on your thoughts.
I was thinking of smoking for 3-4 hrs a pork butt or brisket. Then putting in in the convection oven for the remainder. I thought it would have a better controled temp and let the convection do what ever it does to help keep juicy and tender, and have quicker temp back up after pulling to mop.
-Has anyone tried it
-Would i cook at same temp 210
-Does it need foil wrap lid.

iceman

Basically your smoker is just an oven after it's done smoking anyhow so I think that the convection oven would work just fine. Follow the same time and temps as you would in the smoker. I don't see where wrapping it in foil would help if you don't do it in the smoker. Keep us posted.

FLBentRider

I put 3 pucks of Pecan on a standing rib roast, then put it in the convection oven, then results were fantastic.

The only caution I would give is that (our) convection oven seemed to circulate the smoke smell around the kitchen, strong enough that the Mrs. complained her eyes were burning.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Oh come on FL...that is the best smell in the house when ya bring it in...(you did something wrong...the wife HAD to be right)!! It's a chick RULE!!! Give her orange veggies...she'll be fine...!!! 2 or 3...is fine...:)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: La Quinta on April 22, 2008, 05:18:33 PM
Oh come on FL...that is the best smell in the house when ya bring it in...(you did something wrong...the wife HAD to be right)!! It's a chick RULE!!! Give her orange veggies...she'll be fine...!!! 2 or 3...is fine...:)

Hmmmm.....

LQ, I can't figure out if you're talking about sweetpotatoes, or pumpkins?  ???  ::)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

You know which "carrot" I'm talkin about "FishMan" !!! :)

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

I was gonna say somthing else...uh...but yeah...sure...:)

Gizmo

I smoke in the smoker, then wrap in heavy duty foil multiple times, then pop in the convection oven.  The best primes I have had were always wrapped, not that some of them couln't have been naked the whold time.

Before the smoker, a chef told me his method of cooking prime rib.  He browns on high heat, wraps and then lowers the temperarture to finish at 125 to 135, pull and allow it to carry over cook to 130 to 145 depending on how you like it.  If the folks don't like it rare, give them mostly edges or give their slice a quick bath in some hot Au Jus.  Only a couple of seconds will be enough to take the red out without turning it into the over cooked shoe leather that is a waste of good prime.  I better quit before I offend someone.   :o 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Sounds good Gizman...why the multiple foil wrap?

Gizmo

Prevent leakage out the bottom and to help with the carry over as the roast can sit for some time and keep nice and warm without having to keep it in a warm oven that may cause over cooking. 

FLBentRider

LQ,

It _IS_ the best smell in the house, but this was way stronger than say, 4 pork butts that had 8 hours of hickory. You could not see any smoke, but the acrid smell was very strong. I think it has something to do with the way the convection oven (jenn-air) circulates the oven air and then vents some of it.

I did not foil wrap, we wanted a crisp outside. We will try the foil wrap next time. I've got one in the freezer....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

FLB, for a smoke with crisp outside, and I will certainly agree with you there, it has to have it, after the smoke time and before the foil, toss it on a searing grill or under the broiler to just create that crisp outside.  Don't over do it or it will over cook the inside as well.  Then wrap in foil and finish to the proper Internal Temp.