Help me, please!!!

Started by moondawg, April 27, 2008, 11:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moondawg

I have a serious problem on my hands- my OBS is not producing any heat. I have looked to see if the element is red as suggested in other posts and it wasn't. I ordered a new heating element and after a six week back order delay I finally got the replacement. Yeah, or so I thought. Replaced the element and plugged her in. Nothing. Heating element not red, indicator light not lit up. Put a Fluke to it and I have juice from the outlet to the smoke generator, have it from the generator to the cabinet. Took the panel off for the slider adjustment and saw a small circuit board. Alooks good- nothing loose, no corrosion... Any ideas? I am going through smoking withdrawl.

Habanero Smoker

Sorry to welcome you to the board under these circumstances.

If you tested and are getting power from the socket to the generator, and the generator to the cabinet; I can only think of three possibilities, 1) you have a bad connection at the heating element, make sure connections are clean and have good contact; or 2) you may have blown your high limiter switch, or 3) your circuit board has become damaged (though as you say it looks alright. when you had the front cover off were you able to see if the wiring to the circuit board was getting power. The high limiter switch is designed to trip when the cabinet gets too hot; around 350°F. To check that you will need to remove all the screw on the back of the cabinet and check the switch for any damage.

Have you plugged the cabinet directly into a wall socket instead of the generator? If it is still under warranty call Bradley.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

moondawg

Hey Habanero. Much thanks for the advice! I did as you explained and found out that I had blown the thermal fuse on the back of the unit. I by-passed the fuse (just to check for continuity, not for use) and it started to heat at once.. I called Bradley and spoke to an incredibly pleasant young lady and told her what I had found. She assured me that the new fuse would be shipped right away and that I should be smoking in a week. I can't be happier with the service and the help on this forum. Again, thanks a ton !

Wildcat

Another happy story.  Welcome to the forum.  You will find Habs very knowledgeable and helpful.  There are some others on here that fit into that catagory as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Wildcat on April 29, 2008, 02:07:53 PM
Another happy story.  Welcome to the forum.  You will find Habs very knowledgeable and helpful.  There are some others on here that fit into that catagory as well.

I do not fit into that category real well, but not for lack of trying.....just lack of knowledge.

I'll bet you'll find that all of your experiences will turn out like the first.  Every question I've ever had has been answered and then some.

Welcome to the forum, Moondawg!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Congrats on finding your problem, yea bradley support is pretty amazing!!!
And Welcome to the forum!!  :)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

Welcome MoonDawg...I'm in the same place as SmokingDuck...lotsa fun...but lots to learn too!! Nice to have ya. Glad things worked out!!

moondawg

Just thought I would update the outstanding service that I have had from Bradley. I went to check the mail and found the new thermal fuse waiting for me after only 2 days since I called. Fantastic. Took a few minutes and I had it in and the smoker up and running. Could not be more satisfied with the service I have gotten. Thanks again to all that helped.

La Quinta

Very kool...can't wait to see some of your smoking successes!! :)

Habanero Smoker

That was fast service. Glad to see you are up and running again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

;D Love to hear customer support stories like that.