• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What are the best knives out there.

Started by icerat4, April 28, 2008, 08:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hey guys any suggestion.I like cutco knives but anyone here or know of better.Mainly for cutting brisket and such.Thanks .

Just another weekend with the smoker...

DakotaGriller

Here's a good thread on knives.  As they point out, it really depends on your definition of "best".

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/professional-chef-s-forum/43012-company-has-best-knife.html

On a side note, I've got a set of Henckels that are about 5 years old that are really good.  It has the full set from chef's knive, paring, filet, steak knives, etc.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

3rensho

I've got some Forschner's that I'm pretty happy with.  First knives I've owned where I seriously considered getting a chain mail glove.  I've used Henckels at friends houses and like them as well.  It's pretty subjective IMHO.  Kinda like a keyboard in a way.  Get one that feels great and does everything you need and you're set.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

DakotaGriller

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

manxman

QuoteI've got a set of Henckels

Me too and I think they are excellent but as Tom says it is pretty subjective. My advice would be to go and look at a few, try holding them to get a "feel" for them...... the weight of them, shape of handle etc even if you end up buying them off the net.  ;)

Manxman

DakotaGriller

I agree with Henckel.  I looked at Wusthoff.  In comparison I think you'll get a better deal with Henckel.  I'd love to have a set of their stainless steel - but OUCH!  Spendy! 

I also agree that going somewhere and having hands on experience is something you definately need to do before buying them.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Habanero Smoker

I agree with Tom and Manxman. Get a set you feel comfortable with. Here is a link to the set of knives I use. I don't like the way the website is now set up, but the knives are great.

http://www.ergochef.com/categories.asp

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

thanks guys i just want sharp knives that cut with no issues 300 or so is the budget.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

Kummok

Just like picking out the "Best Car/Truck"....mostly personal taste with some good research and experienced use thrown in. So far, I've settled on Wusthof for inside use and Fibrox, Dexter-Russell for outside fish work. See Dalby Spook's thread for more on filet knives...... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5322.0  Other game knives I use are not available as "production" as they are custom made for specific uses....... I agree with Dakota G though, that there are less expensive ways to make your knife budget go further and still be very satisfied!

La Quinta

I like Wusthof my self...hubby likes Henckel...it is a matter of "feel"...But Icerat...I was just introduced to cutco at my last visit to Florida and I was very impressed. Nice knife...but my friends only had a smaller knife (a little bigger then a steak knife) but it was sweet!

FLBentRider

I'll agree it is a personal choice - my first reaction to this topic was - "New ones"

I tend to buy the cheaper sets - under $300 - that way I don't feel as bad when one of 'em gets inevitably chewed up, bent, nicked, whatever. Then I can donate them to the Boy Scout troop trailer for sharpening / cooking training....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I prefer vintage henckels, sabatier or case xx carbon steel, holds an edge like you would'nt beleive.  I put together my entire set using Ebay, you can find some real beauties that will last you a lifetime easy all at a reasonable price (well sometimes  ;D).  For the amount of money you want to spend you could really put a nice set together!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

Interesting Westexas...I'll go browsing tonight...Thanks!

Payson

I second the vote for Sabatier. Wusthoff is awesome as well but they come at a premium. Henckels are a good safe bet too. The only caution with Henckel is be aware that they make some cheapos as well as super high end knives. You definitely get what you pay for.

huhwhatliar

I have a set of Wusthof and some Henckel. I'm disappointed with my Wusthof so I'm in process of replacing them with F Dick.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......