If you don't have 18 hours to spare......

Started by Carter, April 26, 2008, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carter

I had great success tonight with some "El Cheapo" boneless porkchops my wife found at the grocery store.

Put a little of Iceman's Rub on them while I heated up the smoker.  Into the smoker with apple pucks for 40 minutes.  At 30 minute point, I turned on the BBQ and prepped the veggies.  The chops were thin, so they were basically done when they hit the grill, so I slathered on some of Ice's sauce and just caramelized the sauce a bit.

Served with Sweet potato, Cauliflour, & Asparagus.

The whole thing took about 45-50 minutes from turning on the smoker to sitting down to eating.

If you want a nice quick smoke, this might be a good one to consider.

Carter

La Quinta

Sounds good Carter...tell me about the sweet potato, Cali and asparagus...was that all cooked together? Or separate?

Carter

This is going to sound pretty boring but we
1.  put the asparagus in a little water on the frying pan and boil/poach it for about 5 minutes.
2.  We steam the cauliflaur in a little contraption that fits into one of our pots.   We do the same with Broccoli
3.  We microwave the sweet potato.

Like I said, not very exciting, but I was a one man show last night while my wife was putting down our little guy.  Those three methods allowed me to be doing 4 things at once through the last 5 minutes of cooking.

We've got our second child due any day now, so keeping things simple is a high priority.

You know, microwaved sweet potato works pretty well.  A little butter, a little pepper, and I like a sprinkle of allspice and it always tastes great.

Carter

La Quinta

Congrats on your impending gift of another child!! Very kool!! :) Not a boring way to cook...very healthy!!

Smoking Duck

Carter,

Congrats on the second bundle of joy due soon.  Sounds like you've mastered the art of doing 10 things at once which will come in very handy for you.  My best to you and your wife (remember to be good to the kids......they may one day have a say on which retirement home you go to  :o ;D)!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Carter

Thanks for the wellwishes LQ & SD.  Sound advice SD.  We're pretty excited right now and our house is chaos just trying to get organized and manage a sixteen month old who walks, talks, and acts like the Flintstone's character Bam Bam.  Words can't express the way I feel about him.

Hey, I did the same thing again tonight only with Chicken Breasts instead of Pork Chops.  A light rub (I used a Cajun one tonight), 40 minutes in the smoker with Apple pucks, 5 minutes on the Gas BBQ with Iceman's sauce, veggies, and rice (yes we used our precious stash of Basmati rice).  Another winner with easy clean up.

Carter

iceman

Congrats on the newest family members arrival Carter. Sounds like your a busy man :D ;D ;)
In this case getting them into smoking at a young age is a good thing ;)