Habs Bacon, the two day wait begins

Started by yul, May 05, 2008, 05:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yul

:) Thanks Mike, the PID really made it easy. I just tried one piece this time so that I can see if I have got the method right. I thought maybe it was a little over smoked (2 hours of Maple) but the taste will tell.
Hi Habs, the "V" tray is standard, I have not opened out any of the slots, maybe someone from Bradley was listening to the sugestions from the board  ;)
Any serving suggestions for the Bacon?  I was going to reheat it but was wondering what it is like cold.

:o  :o Wow.. this is post 100. Still a long way to go to catch you guy's up  :D  :D
Brian. Montreal.

FLBentRider

We find it good cold. Pan Fried in a little butter and then throw the eggs in after removing the bacon is good too.

Habs Canadian bacon ? I would eat it in a box, I would eat it with a Fox.....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Did'nt get a chance to pull the cover, Golfball size hail....but the loins are going into the cure tonight!!!!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

yul

:D  ;D mmmmm, bacon frying in the pan, can't wait.  :P  ;)
Brian. Montreal.

Buck36

Yul,

I am jealous! I pulled my attempt at Hab's Canadian Bacon out of the smoker last night. I am in day 1 of my wait.

pensrock

When I talked to Brian at Bradley he suggested that I open the slots in the V tray as wide as possible to allow more heat to move up into the tower vs getting trapped below the V tray. This all came about because I have so many problems with moisture in my smoker. I also suggested that they add two more slots on each side of the V tray, there is plenty of room. From looking at the pic all I can say is if it was redesigned to open the slots more they did not add the extra slots. Opening the slots helped some with the moisture but not completely so I'm building a cold smoke box, which I also suggested to Bradley but have not seen one yet. The cold smoke box will allow me to get the water bowl out of the tower and I think will completely eliminate the moisture problem in my unit. Also with the PID I built I have the ability to ramp up in temperature vs heating up as fast as it can go, by doing a controlled steady heat up I should be able to prevent any overshoot and uneven heating.

yul

:D  :D I finally pulled the bacon out of the fridge tonight and sliced it up. It tastes fantastic.  :P I am taking a sample in to work tomorrow for taste testing but as far as I am concerned this stuff rocks.  ::)   :) 

Thanks once again to Habs for the recipe  and also to Tiny Tim who sent me some vital ingredients through the mail.
I am going to start two more pieces on Saturday ready for next week end. Got to love that OBS.

Brian. Montreal.

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome. That bacon does look good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

I too are now into the two day wait, but what I see and smell so far looks to be amazing...Well see!!  Yul I hope mine turns out at least half that good...WOW that look's good!!  My tenderloins were'nt near that thick.  Thanks for receipe Habs!!  I've still got to figure out this camera so I can add some pics!    ;D

C

westexasmoker

Ok could'nt wait the for one more day, pulled a chunk out and the rest is still in the fridge...OMG its good.  Had a hankering for some calzones tonight, the wife likes canadian bacon and pineapple so figured lets give this a go.  Got some leftover fatties also for the other ones, using smoked Mozz and cheddar on both with homemade sauce, oh and give your pineapple a quick grill for the CB one's...I've still got to put them together but the smells are awesome...If you have thought about doing Habs bacon all I can say is DOOOittt!  I used the tenderloins and only cured for 4 days, I think I could have gone 1 more but they dried in a heartbeat, and into the smoker yesterday hit 160 in, oh 3 hours, color, smell!! Amazing!!...Def gonna be done again!!  Thanks again Habs and NePa for the fatties receipe!!

C

westexasmoker

Hey Habs, or anyone else

What is the shelf life for the canadian bacon, in the fridge??  And this is one of the most awesome things I've smoked, don't know why I'm worried about how long it will keep its usually gone within a couple of days!

C

Habanero Smoker

I really don't know. The longest I have kept it in the refrigerator in a resealable bag (not vacuum sealed) was about 10 days. It was still alright, and I keep my refrigerator at 38°F. As a general rule, smoke and cured meats can be stored in the refrigerator longer then other cooked meats. The longest I've kept vacuum sealed in the refrigerator was about 1 month; but generally for long storage I will vacuum seal and freeze. The only reason I kept a vacuum seal in the refrigerator for a month, was because I had forgotten about it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Sausage Maker

Quote from: westexasmoker on May 21, 2008, 05:03:42 PM
Hey Habs, or anyone else

What is the shelf life for the canadian bacon, in the fridge??

That Bacon look sooooooo gooooood I dont think shelf life is an issue ....

Your bacon should last the 10 days in the fridge like suggested above. If you own a vaccum sealer 10 - 20 days unfrozen is fine.

here's the slobberknocker .....(I just love that word) un sliced in a chunk, at my butcher shop we get 30 days in refrigeration.

Nice work W T S

Mike
soylent green is people

Smokin Soon

Did some Hab's Canidian Bacon and some Smokin Hot Mama's Chops today and really nailed it. I took the idea from Habs to soak the chops after rinsing and bag up with Maple Syrup for a couple of hours, These were monster thick chops and I mixed Hickory and Maple
pucks for about 3 hours. It's one that I will do again

La Quinta

Holy Moly SmokinSoon...looks awesome...I bet it tastes even better...WELL DONE!!!!! :)