Dead thread

Started by Oldman, December 14, 2007, 01:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokestack

I bought my OBS about 2.5yrs ago. Never really found time to smoke much. Did some jerky two times and tried some chicken pieces twice. My daughter and I made some polish sausage yesterday 05/06/08 and smoked it. Had to advance the pucks manually as well. Seems the timer is shot. Ordered a new one today ( only 5.00) as well as a new temperature sensor (1.50) Overall, not very happy with the OBS dependability rating. Mine is made in China as well. Also wonder why when smoking, the internal temperature of the sausage rose too 142*F then started too slowly fall,while the temperature gauge was still reading 160*on the door.(outdoor temp 65*F) I had to crank up the temp way high to get the internall temperature of the sausage to rise to 152*F...a major faux pas when smoking sausage.That is why the lady on the phone suggested a temp sensor replacement. Any thoughts on the temp fluctuating would be helpfull and appreciated. I'm just new to the forum, but I've been reading it since I bought my OBS. I enjoy it very much as there are many well educated smokers who contribute to the site with ideas, methods and helpfull hints. Thanks

Habanero Smoker

In this case we are not talking about collagen breaking down. When cooking meats you will generally see a temporary drop in internal temperatures around the 140°F mark. Most people do not catch it, because it does not last long. When you are talking about cuts like chicken, ground meats (which includes sausage), and for that fact all meats; the 140°F temperature is the temperature that meat will rapidly start to lose moisture; the release of moisture will cause your meat to drop a degree or two, but it should not last long, like it does in tough cuts of meat when collagen begins to break down.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)