• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

todays catch

Started by bigredsmoker, May 13, 2008, 04:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

You can come on up and introduce yourselves to them, but don't expect them to be much like celebs at all. The producers make a show that is dramatic and interesting...I love watching it myself....and the Hillstrands at least don't seem to be affected much by all the notoriety. They have a loooong family history here and their 15 minutes of fame doesn't appear to have changed them. John and Andy, et al, were what you might call "fire-formed" and it would likely take a long stretch of this "fame" to change them. The 'Time Bandit' is likely in the Homer Small Boat Harbor during certain summer months and you'd pass it on your way outta the harbor, tied up with the other fishing boats. From what I hear these days, when they're in town you could most likely find John buying rounds and telling tales at the local gin mill (aka 'The Salty Dog"), Andy hawking shirts/hats/autographs to raise money for local non-profits, (but I think Andy now has a ranch down in Idaho, Montana or somewhere "down there"). From what I know from personal experience, Neil will be working his butt off to earn a good living. Good men all, and NEVER a dull moment! Right now, Scotty (Johnathan's son that "broke the mold" in the recent episode) is my personal "man of strongest character" hero.......

tturaider

Yea I think it took a bigger man to give up the chance for quick cash to be able to have the chance raise a family.
Smoke like your from Texas....use Mesquite

bigredsmoker

Quote from: manxman on May 16, 2008, 02:32:18 PM
QuoteWent out Morel hunting today

Someone told me they can be dried and stored for some time very well? Is that right bigredsmoker?

I have heard you can dry them and they will keep. Haven't tried it yet. This is my first time out that I have had good success in many years. I found a friend who has access to some good hunting ground. Next year I am may be able to try the drying thing.

La Quinta

I LOVE that show...we have it set up to record whenever it's on...very kool as someone said Kummok that you know one of the captains. Those guys deserve every nickel they get!! :)

And BigRed...I too am a jealous beast that you can find morels where you live...how kool is that!! :)

Smoking Duck

I'd still like to give it a try.......I don't get sea sick and I love the water.  I also love any type of outdoor activity......maybe I'm getting a little long in the tooth, but I can pretty much stay with the yung 'uns on most things I try.  I think I'd really like the challenge it would offer....... Call me crazy, but I think it would be a blast.....course, TV has a way of making a lot of rough stuff look good

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Kummok

Quote from: La Quinta on May 18, 2008, 03:30:48 PM
I LOVE that show...we have it set up to record whenever it's on...very kool as someone said Kummok that you know one of the captains.....

Don't wanna fool anyone into thinking Hillstrands come over for (smoked) dinner on a regular basis or anything like that.....last time Neil was over was two years ago and that was just to do some touch-up hydroseeding on our lawn. If you've lived in Homer very long, you know the Hillstrands AND all the other families that have been here as long or longer than them. My daughters played with Jewel Kilcher. I've been in Tom Bodett's home studio. Likely so have many other Homeroids....these folks are all "simple Homer folks" that are very good at what they do and they got recognized for it through diligence and "the right breaks". I'm not even certain that they actually enjoy the fame that much?!?!? The ironic thing is that I've known better fisherman, better singers and better writers that very few people have or likely ever will hear about. Guess there's only so many hours available for everyone's 15 minutes of fame to be televised. I actually disconnected my satellite signal a year or so and started connecting more with people.....it's amazing the stories that are told on the "Life Channel", (and NO editing!). I've met some true heros in the local longterm care center and I'd bet the folks right here on this forum have some surprising tales as well as the heartwarming events they've already shared over the years.....Well, it's starting to sound like I'm slipping into waxing philosophically; just didn't want anyone thinking that I'm John's best friend (and start asking me if I could get them a crabbing job  :o ;) ;D )  Now back to looking down at the airport, through my spotting scope, to watch Ernest Bognine (sp?), Jim Carey, and Steven Segal get themselves and family entourage into their helicopters for the short trip across the bay to Tutka Bay Lodge....(except that Ernest is comfortable hanging around the Gear Shed and local pubs....he loves people!)

La Quinta

Nah Kummok...I don't think anybody thought that you knew these guys...hell...where I live, out near Palm Springs, you can be 4 feet away from a boatload of Hollywood types in any number of resturants...quite frankly...who gives a crap...I'd rather sit next to a guy serving our country on leave and ask HIM for his autograph...just the way we are...:)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Kummok

Know what you mean LQ....I just picked up the tab, (anonymously...I love doing that!), for some returnees who'd just ordered a round at the Anchorage airport. No offense though but I used to live near PS and I'd want to shower after sitting near some of the folks that sat down near me in the restaurants there....too many ostrich feathers in that town for this old logger's kid!!   ;) :o

La Quinta

Yeah...know what you mean...no offense takin...trust me...We live in a rather unique environment...and I'll just leave it at that!!

Gizmo

Quote from: Kummok on May 20, 2008, 08:57:08 AM

just didn't want anyone thinking that I'm John's best friend (and start asking me if I could get them a crabbing job  :o ;) ;D ) 

Kummok,
They can keep the crabbing job, but if they would like to send some of that left over crab this way, Im all in.   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Kummok

[quote author=Gizmo link=topic=7242.msg73249#msg73249 date=1211341647
Kummok,
They can keep the crabbing job, but if they would like to send some of that left over crab this way, Im all in.   :)
[/quote]

"Leftover crab"????What's that, Giz??  ;) ;) ;D

manxman

Quotehave heard you can dry them and they will keep. Haven't tried it yet. This is my first time out that I have had good success in many years. I found a friend who has access to some good hunting ground. Next year I am may be able to try the drying thing.

By coincidence just bought the book below, it is on special in one of the trift bookshops over here at £4.50 / $9 and they have a section on drying mushrooms, including morels. Looks like they thread them on string to dry them.

Quite a basic book but very useful and interesting nonetheless with a few good recipes and quite a lot on smoking. They always seem to cold smoke their food first prior to hot smoking.

http://www.amazon.com/Preserved-Nick-Sandler/dp/1856266214

looks like a new edition:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preserved-Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstall/dp/1856265323
Manxman

Smoking Duck

I wonder what the thought on that would be?  More smoke absorption on the food? 

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

manxman

QuoteI wonder what the thought on that would be?  More smoke absorption on the food? 

That seems to be what they are saying, need to read the book a bit more to be sure.  :)
Manxman