DigiQ II

Started by Kurt, May 08, 2008, 04:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurt

Habs, I was reading a thread that you did a while back, last year, about your test on the DigiQ II. Maybe I missed it but I was wondering if you leave the wood heating plate on after the smoke time is over?

I know w/o the DigiQ, you leave the plate on but since the DigiQ is now controling the heat, can you leave it off after it shuts off after your set smoke time. I'm expecting my DigiQ to arrive sometime tomorrow and am planning on using it this weekend.

Anyone else that knows the answer to this question is more than welcome to throw some comments at me. Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Hi Kurt;

In most cases you have the choice of either leaving the generator on, or turning it off. It depends on the temperature you want my cabinet to be at, the load, the ambient temperature and other weather conditions. If I need it for extra heat source I leave the generator on, then there are times when it just a choice I make at the time. If I can maintain the temperature without the generator on, that is my preference.

If you are using temperatures of 190°F or higher, you can leave the generator on and the DigiQ will be able to regulate the heat accurately. Temperature below 190°F, the DigiQ may not be able to keep the heat at that temperature because of the additional heat source for the bisquette burner.

You'll find that you made a great choice, and it will make smoking much easier. Also if you decide, or you may already have a charcoal/wood smoker with the right fan adapter you can use the DigiQ for that also. When you receive it, could you let me know what the Raptor looks like; is it still a stainless steel box, or have they switched to the color anodized aluminum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kurt

Habanero. I will let you know as soon as I get it Habanero and thanks for your response. Thats exactly what I needed to know. I didn't know if the DigiQ could regulate the heat with the wood generator on or not.

I was hoping it would come today but haven't seen it yet as of 1540 hrs Central Time. Was hoping to try it out with some ribs this weekend. Tired of setting the temp at 210 and watching it get all the way down to 180 to 185 before climbing again.

Again, I will let you know on the color as soon as I get it.

Habanero Smoker

They ship UPS, so hopefully it is on the truck and out for delivery.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

huhwhatliar

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 09, 2008, 02:34:39 AM

When you receive it, could you let me know what the Raptor looks like; is it still a stainless steel box, or have they switched to the color anodized aluminum.

Habs, the raptor is still the stainless steel box. Mine came in last week.

Domenick
They say home is where family is not......

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: huhwhatliar on May 09, 2008, 03:16:52 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on May 09, 2008, 02:34:39 AM

When you receive it, could you let me know what the Raptor looks like; is it still a stainless steel box, or have they switched to the color anodized aluminum.

Habs, the raptor is still the stainless steel box. Mine came in last week.

Domenick

Thanks! Now I just need to hope that they switched over in the past week. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kurt

Habs, I received my DigiQ/Raptor today late this afternoon. The raptor hasn't changed from the models that I have seen here on the forum. I received a diagram of how to hook it up to the DBS and was completely confusing. I called Bob and we just ended up confusing eachother. From his instructions, I was told that the Raptor plugged into the back of the generator which was not possible with the cables that I had. I had already read about the computor cable that I would need and already had it ready.

I knew that Kane had the DBS along with the DigiQ/raptor setup. I PMed him and ended up calling him. He walked me through the setup which was very easy with his instructions, which brings me to another point. IT'S JUST FURTHER PROOF OF HOW HELPFUL EVERYBODY IS ON THIS FORUM. I ASKED A GUY FOR HIS PHONE NUMBER, AND NOT KNOWING ME FROM ADAM, GAVE IT TO ME AND WALKED ME THOUGH THE SET UP. THANK YOU KANE FOR BENING GENEROUS ENOUGH TO DO THAT.

If anybody that reads this buys the DigiQ II/Raptor combo and gets the diagram with it showing how to set it up, disregard it and check with somebody on here that has already done it. Thanks to Kane, I can also walk you through the set up.

Now, I can't wait to try it out.

Kurt

Just an update on my DigiQ II/Raptor combo. I had the chance to do some fatties yesterday and the Guru was wrong when they said that it was accurate up to +/- 2 degrees. That thing is right on the money. I put a brisket in the smoker last night at ten pm and set it at 205. The temp has not budged at all. Once it comes up to the set temp at the beginning of the cook, it doesn't move. What a great product. I highly recommend it to anybody. Just wish I wouldn't have bought the Digital.

Habs, did you see that the raptor is still the stainless steel box?

Smoking Duck

Kurt,

With regards to the being helpful part, you will find that that is the rule here rather than the exception.  You couldn't ask for a greater bunch of people than what you'll find on this forum.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Kurt on May 15, 2008, 11:04:27 AM
Just an update on my DigiQ II/Raptor combo. I had the chance to do some fatties yesterday and the Guru was wrong when they said that it was accurate up to +/- 2 degrees. That thing is right on the money. I put a brisket in the smoker last night at ten pm and set it at 205. The temp has not budged at all. Once it comes up to the set temp at the beginning of the cook, it doesn't move. What a great product. I highly recommend it to anybody. Just wish I wouldn't have bought the Digital.

Habs, did you see that the raptor is still the stainless steel box?
Hi Kurt;
Yes, I saw the Raptor is still stainless steel.

Keep in mind that the DigiQ has a snap mode that is enabled at the factory. The snap mode prevents the display from changing frequently. So what it does is keep the displayed temperature at a specific setting, even though the actual temperature may be + 1 or 2 degrees. When I ordered mine, the snap mode was disabled at the factory. So there may or not be some variance in temperature if you have the snap mode enabled. I forgot how to disable it, but that information should be in your documentation somewheres. But overall, it really doesn't make a difference in it's performance.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Kane

It was my pleasure to help Kurt. Im glad everything is working out for ya. 

Just a fyi - when the pit temp is showing on the display - push the down arrow button and pit button at the same time - you will hear a chirp and the snap mode is now disabled.

have fun!