Smoked/Fried turkey

Started by beyondclarity, May 23, 2008, 10:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beyondclarity

I was wondering how long I should smoke the turkey for if I plan to smoke it and then deep fry it.

Also does anyone have a good rub or brine recipe for this type of turkey?

thanks!

Troy

FLBentRider

Seems like last time I smoked one, it took about 5 or 6 hours - It is going to be tricky to determine when it is "done" since you really can't use a probe in a deep fryer. You really can't cold smoke it either. It also depends on how much smoke you want. I would probably give it an hour with the smoker around 200 and then fry. How long to fry ? Hmmm... Not sure about that one.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I've always gone with an injection for turkey and then just my basic rub that I use on everything.  I agree with FL about an hour in the smoker and then the fryer usually about 3-1/2 to 4 minutes per pound at 350 degrees!  Good luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beyondclarity

Would you post the rub recipe you use?  I've not had much luck finding any...

thanks!

westexasmoker

I use the Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub from the Smoke&Spice book. (everyone needs this book!)

3/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup coarse ground pepper
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbs chilli powder
2 tbs garlic powder
2 tbs onion powder
2 tsp cayenne

I think its pretty well balanced and goes good on pretty much anything!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

qcrowner

I saw a recipe for this exact thing on the Bradley main page under recipes.  Try this

Deep Fried Smoked Turkey

Ingredients
• 1 whole wild turkey (wild optional)
• Lots of oil as per manufacturer of the deep fryer.

Preparation
There are many options to cooking a turkey this way. Marinating the bird for 24 hours prior to cooking it is one option. Use a sugar/salt cure in a 50/50 ratio, and thoroughly cover turkey and store in refrigerator. After 24 hours rinse and pat dry.

Smoking Method
Cold smoke the turkey for 4 hours prior to cooking it in your deep fryer. Using Apple flavor bisquettes, place the turkey in the Bradley Smoker and cold smoke at 40°C (100°F), turning occasionally. Following the directions of the manufacturer deep fry according to the weight of the bird. Try using peanut oil for extra flavor.

To Serve
The deep frying process seals in the juices of the turkey, but the added flavor from the Apple flavor bisquettes in the Bradley Smoker will amaze you... Serve with traditional turkey feast fixings of gravy and mashed potatoes, along with root vegetables and salad, or try a different turkey menu that includes coleslaw and French fries. A boneless turkey breast or whole chicken can be substituted. Try hickory flavor bisquettes for another flavor sensation!

Let us know how it turns out.

West Coast Kansan

I have only done this once and it was pretty good.  I did not brine, rub, or inject.  Just a cold smoke straight from the fridge to the smoker for two hours and then wrapped in plastic real tight and back in the fridge overnight.  Next morning 3 minutes per pound at 350 F in the deep fryer. 

Try to keep the temps down during the cold smoke by using the cardboard box method. My cold smoke time was limited to two hours because I did not want the turkey temps to rise.  It hit 70F at two hours and back to the fridge.

Plenty of smoke flavor perhaps because of the overnight pause. 

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

aha638

I use two Maverick ET-74 probes with my ET-73 monitor to read the turkey breast meat and oil temps as I deep fry.  I had to buy two extension cables (Radio Shack) because the ET-74 probes only have a 6 inch cable which puts your monitor to close the the heat and oil.

IMO that is what is wrong with the ET-74 system - the transmitter / oil probe is attached to the deep fry pot.

Al