Preparing FISH for smoking / favored seafood smoking recipes...

Started by Gator, June 05, 2008, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gator

Hey everyone,

I'm Captain Sam "aka" Gator, a Charter Captain, fishing out of Central Florida, so as you can imagine I catch and cook lots of fish.

Just seasoned my new Bradley digital smoker and I'm going to smoke some Florida King Fish steaks I have stacked up in my freezer. (All vacuumed sealed of course)

I would love to know your favored seafood smoking recipes, for all kinds of fish.

From preparing to smoking!

Thanks

westexasmoker

Welcome aboard Gator

As landlocked as I am here in west texas we don't get much fresh fish, so I am certainly not a fish expert.  Kummok's salmon recipe is extremely good!  I've mostly done just a quick smoke about 20 minutes or so and then thrown onto a hot grill to finish, so far its worked out well with everything I've caught (well caught at the grocery store  ;D)  I know we've got some serious fish experts on the forum, they'll pipe in with much more guidance than me!  Enjoy!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Kummok

Welcome to the 'Fish' section, Captain! If you're anything like the charter skippers around here, especially right now, you're almost too busy to breathe. If so, catch your breath and explore this section....ALL kinds if discussions/offerings on smoking many kinds of fish.... I think you'll find herein that you're gonna switch from "fishing" to "catching" when it comes to trolling for good ways to treat good seafood......  (Please excuse the corny puns, Gator.....the sun is shining a little bit up here right now and I'm getting stoked!)  ;) ;D

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  Gator!

I've done a hot smoked farmed "salmon" it turned out good.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Hi Gator and welcome to the forum. Here is a link to a recipe for trout by Boutch. A number of guys on the forum here have tried it and liked it including Habs who is our resident "Iron Chef".

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1025.0

Keep us posted

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Hey Gator...and Welcome...are you a Florida Gator? Like a UF gator?

Gator

Hi thanks for all the replies!

I just smoked my first King Fish using my new Bradley Digital smoker.

The smoker right out of the box worked excellent, and the temp kept right at 150 degrees.

In preparing the king fish I,
Marinated the fish in Milk, mixed with brown sugar over night.

I then mixed and injected the following ingredients into the King fish, just before smoking;

Syrup
Brown sugar
Salmon & Seafood seasoning
Black pepper
Equal
Parkey Margarine
Garlic powder

Smoked for 5 Hrs at 150 degrees.

Came out mouth watering, with NO fishy taste!

I would recommend anyone give this a try.

Below is my attempt to upload my King fish photos being smoked.

westexasmoker

Thats one big fish!  Those fillets look awesome..Cooked at 150 I'm assuming you just ran the smoke generator?  May have to pick up some fish now, problem though our temps have been hitting 100+ and I think my cabinet just sitting there is already at 150!  Congrats Gator! 

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Wildcat

Nicely done Skipper!  How are the mercury levels on the large Kings in your area?  I am in the panhandle and it is pretty high on the large ones.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gator

Hi La Quinta

Nautical Gator is the name of my vessel / boat.

this is my website.

http://www.nauticalgator.com/

La Quinta

Hey Gator...kool website...I grew up in Ormond Beach...so did a lot of fishin' out of Ponce Inlet...and the river...Tomoka....yada...yada...nice looking fish...:)