Considering Buying a BDS

Started by WannaB Smoker, June 14, 2008, 08:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WannaB Smoker

I'm ready to made the leap from BBQ smoking to buying a real smoker. The bradley line seems to fit the bill, but I'm unsure of what my "needs" are. From the prices I've seen I could buy a 4 rack smoker (non digital) or spend $50-60 more and get the 6 rack digital (the 5 rack is actually more than the 6 rack). Is it worth it to go digital? Is there more temp fluctuations with a bigger unit?

Thanks for any advice!  :)

HCT

I don't know much about the BDS except what I read here. I'm real happy with the BSS, no problems at all. Seems like the less bells and whistles the better off you are. JMHO :-\
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

KyNola

WannaB,
Welcome to the forum.  Much information can be found here and the members are always eager to help.  I have a 4 rack BDS and for the most part am quite pleased with it.  The one thing you will quickly learn is that neither the digital nor the original temp readings are totally accurate.  Many of us have purchased the Maverick ET-73 dual probe thermomater.  You can monitor the box temp as well as the internal temp of the meat.  The temp fluctuations occur more frequently when you first put the meat in the smoker.  I have temp swings as much as 30 degrees.  As the meat comes up in temp, the fluctuations are much less and the box temp reading on the BDS will be much closer to the box temp shown on the ET-73.

You can't go wrong with the Bradley.  You will be happy and if you get frustrated or confused, you will have lots of new friends here more than ready to help you out.  

Happy Smoking!!
  KyNola

westexasmoker

Welcome wannab

I don't have any experience with the digital model, but I'm sure its a fine unit!  I've been running the OBS with maverick and pid and it turns out amazing food, as much as I think I would like to have the 6 rack model you can still crank out a bunch of vittles with the 4.  Either way ya go your gonna be happy!  And these guys on the forum are awesome!  Good luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

WannaB Smoker

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll order the 6 rack. It qualifies for free shipping making it a better deal as well. All I've ever tried to smoke are ribs and I'm looking forward to trying out different things as well.

beefmann

wannab

I own the obs with a digital mod and the mod is worth the time. I would recomend buying  the 6 rack ... there has been times that i needed   extra rack space and 1 or 2 racks would been plenty. Just expect your  first few smokes not to be perfect  and chalk it up to a  learning experiance. Also buy 1 package of 48 pucks in all flavors  and once you  have found a few that you  like order a supply of them in the 120 puck packs.

i keep on hand all execpt alder... dont  care for the  flaver.. that  is my personal taste... you  might like them  all or  just a  few.

I  have been  smoking for  just over a year and has done beef ribs, pork ribs, roasts, baby back ribs, tri tip, hams, rump roasts, chicken, turkey... its defently worth the money and fun to  use

Isle of Wight deep south

I have been smoking fish making jerky for many years now and have found this to be a great tool to work with.Only prob is the hot smoking is great but to advertise it as a clod smoker seems a little broad!
andy

car54

Welcome Wannab,

The 6 rack is good for the extra size . I believe it has the same wattage as a 4 rack. The 6 rack would be a very good start. Start with that and see if any of the following add ons are to your liking.
If you have looked through this site there are 3 add ons that enhance the Bradley. Most people use their Bradley "as is" with no problem. I just like to tinker with and modify things.

1. A PID temperature controller for ultra precise(plus or minus 1 degree) temperature control. I believe there are plug and play units for about $70.00. other wise many of the members have made there own.

2. A circulation fan to distribute the temperature more evenly.

3. An extra heater for when your smoker is loaded with meat.

1 and 2 are fairly easy. A few of us have done #3 and that is abit more involved.

You can use it as a cold smoker with a secondary box. It could be as simple as a cardboard box.

At one time the digital Bradley could only be used for about 9 hours before it would  automatically shut off. This may have been changed by Bradley. I am sure that other forum members have the answer.

I hope nothing I said is scaring you away. Believe me, THE BRADLEY IS A GREAT SMOKER!

Brad

West Coast Kansan

The 9 hour 40 minute clock is still a limitation on the DBS 4r and 6r.  The timer can be reset at any time - requires pushing two buttons. When the DBS was new, there were a lot of opinions about one vs the other unit. You will enjoy either.  The OBS does have a price break that is attractive and the difference can fund a PID if temp fluctions bother you.  The only time it really matters is sausage.  The DBS requires a longer cable to be made up to support cold smoking.  The DBS is easier to get the hang of as well.  Electric is different than conventional smokers. But much easier to use.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

WannaB Smoker

Thanks again...this is a great place to visit for support and suggestions! You make a person feel welcome!

Habanero Smoker

WannaB Smoker;
Welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the cold smoking set up that Car54 mentioned. If you search the forum you will find how others built a more permanent setup.

http://www.foodsmoker.co.uk/equipment/bradleycold.htm

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Welcome WannaB. Lots to read around here or if you can't find an answer just ask. Enjoy! :)

Smoking Duck

IMO, either way you go, you'll not go wrong.  I have both the OBS and DBS.  I use the OBS more because of the PID but the DBS is a fine unit as well.  I've found that the most important thing is not the unit itself but what you put inside it.

Welcome to the forum, WannaB.  Jump right on in, the water's warm and you'll like and learn alot on this forum.  Some of the finest people on the world wide web call this place home.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

WannaB Smoker

Thanks for all the help. I ordered the 6 rack DBS this past week from Amazon - unfortunately it's going to be 4-6 weeks for delivery  :(

Oh well, it will be worth the wait!

bullsi1911

It is definitely worth the wait.  I am extremely happy with my BDS.  I catch heck from other Texans for using this new fangled contraption, but I deal with it :)