RIBS ..RIBS...RIBS....need advice !

Started by tvp, June 25, 2008, 01:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvp

;)

OK have 8 racks of baby backs read to go , never cooked 8 racks before , My four rack BDS will have 2 rib racks per shelf, So need help on the following :

How much SMOKE  in hrs, and what mix of flavor ? and position of smoke damper ?

How long to cook @ 210 total time , or in foil

How often should I rotate the racks

And any other tips !

Thanks in Advance for all the great tips on the BDS

TVP

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.

How long to apply smoke depends on personal taste.  I do 3 or 4 hours on ribs and usaually do either apple, hickory, or mesquite.

Vent 1/3 to 1/2 open is fine, so long as the smoke does not back up into the generator.

Cook until done.  Time will vary.  When the meat starts to pull away from the bone it is done.  Rotate racks front to back and top to bottom about every hour or two.  I recommend spritzing with apple juice or some other liquid.

Be sure to pull the membrane off the back of the ribs before cooking.

Let us know how it goes.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tvp

:) Will do ,

25 people comming for dinner, NO Pressure .....lol

TVP

westexasmoker

Wilds got ya hooked up, the only prob I see is 25 people, 8 racks you gonna run a bit short....well you would at my house, last time I did 8 they were gone quick and that was just with 5 of us!!  Enjoy and let us know!  And mesquite would be my choice...shocking  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Consiglieri

If I'm too late this time, I apologize.  Here's some a link (which includes other links) to discussions about cooking a large volume of ribs:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7413.msg75127#msg75127

Good luck!
Consiglieri

Kane

hey tvp,

welcome!

I just did 6 racks for a party a couple weeks ago and people are still talking about my ribs. Grandpa said they were the best he ever had and he has certainly had his fair share of ribs in his 78 years.

I cooked mine (baby backs) for a total of 8 hours - rubbed down with icemans rub the night before and wrapped up tight to sit in the fridge.

preheated smoker in the morning to 300 and let the ribs sit at room temp for a hour.

cooked at 210

Ribs in at 9am for 3 hours of apple smoke than rotate racks and spritz with 50/50 mix of apple juice and Jack Daniels. cook for another hour than remove ribs.  spritz really good with the 50/50 mix than wrap in heavy duty foil.  back in the smoker for another 4 hours at 210 than finish on the grill to sauce em up.

Ribs were fall off the bone tender with excellent flavor.

good luck!

tvp

Great Advice all, to fill in the gaps, sorry......I have 25 people comming for dinner and I am having Chicken and Ribs + Salads,

My Math was 3 ribs / person and two pic. of chichen, along with Sweet corn and salad

I will cut the racks up to give me 80 ribs and serve them cut up

Am I wrong ??  do I need more ??

TVP

westexasmoker

Ahh, I bet you'll be fine...my crew of kids (well they're grown) and they eat like kids,,,well carnivore's!  ;D   But rule of thumb, at least for me, always cook more than what you think...worse comes to worse you freeze whats leftover!!  Keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

tvp

Will do ....now I need ICEMANS Rub recipe ??

TVP

KyNola

tvp,
Welcome aboard.  Don't worry about Iceman's rub as you're not going to get the recipe. :D  However you can order it from the Iceman but as he hails from Alaska odds are it's not going to get there in time for your ribs.  Otherwise, I'm with the absolute advice Kane gave to you.  There is one alternative.  After you apply the smoke in the Bradley, you can transfer your ribs to your house oven and complete the cooking process there.  Still low and slow at 210 degrees just like Kane said in his post.  The only problem I see is convincing your wife you have to sit next to the oven with drink in hand to monitor the ribs for proper cooking.

Have a great time.  Let us know the results.

KyNola

bsheger

I did 9 slabs in my 6 rack last weekend.  Smoked for 3:40 @ 220 with apple biscuits rotating the racks every 45 min to an hour.  The one thing I didn't do is turn them front to back.  That is an excellent suggestion as the side of the ribs to the back of the box became more brown than the front.  I left them in the box untill I had made a full rotation which was about 4 /2 to 5 hours.  Boated them in a foil pan with some apple juice and cooked in the oven on 220 for another 3 hours.  Tossed them on the grill and sauced them up a bit.  Awesome tasting ribs.

If time allows I would suggest rubbing them down and let them sit overnight.  Get them out of the fridge plenty early to allow to come to room temperature.  This will help your temps when you put them in the box.

tvp

Great Info , You guys ROCK !

Will follow to a bone !...lol

Will post results

TVP :) :)

Kane

hey good luck! Im sure they will turn out great!   

I have another full load of baby backs all set for tomorrow.