Rinsing meat before cooking

Started by okeejohn, December 31, 2008, 09:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okeejohn

My Jamaican friend was visiting me and was teaching me how to make Jerk chicken. To my surprise, he rinsed the chicken with vinegar and then water. When questioned, he said he cleans all of his meat before cooking. Does anybody else do this??

Okeejohn

Gizmo

Depends on the meat but not with vinegar.  Poultry is a definate yes.
Hamburger, steaks, are a no.
Seafood is another depends on what it is.  Such as no on shrimp and lobster, yes on sandy things like mussels, and yes on filets. 
I use a vinegar base solution (could call it a brine) for game that has a strong flavor and I want to tame the flavor down.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

I always rinse my chicken with water but have never used vinegar.  If he told you, I would be interested to know what the reasoning is behind using the vinegar.

KyNola

Brisket Lover

Does anyone rinse the pork butt?  I didn't last night because I just read to pat it down, but my brisket I did.

Smoking Duck

Not rinsing it off won't hurt you.  If mine appears to be bloodier than normal, I'll rinse it off.  If it doesn't, I won't.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

I learn that tip many years back. I use to work for an agency that over saw community homes. Many of the staff were from different parts of the world, and the staff had to cook in those homes, and I would pick up many pointers. Most people from the Caribbean Islands use either lemon juice or lime juice, vinegar is occasionally used; and they usually soak it (not rinse) for about 10 minutes. What I've been told, it is not for sanitation; put it gives the chicken a "fresh" taste. I always use lemon juice.

As SD pointed out; rinsing chicken seem to be one of those issues up for debate. Some say to rinse because of the way poultry is processed. Others say don't rinse, because rinsing just spreads bacteria around your sink and counter area, and the cooking process will kill all bacteria.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

firerescueman

QuoteWe rinse. all but ground.

same here.
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

3rensho

QuoteWe rinse. all but ground.

Same here.  Just to get rid of escaped blood and juices on everything and goodness knows what on a chicken  ::)
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

mapleleafsgurl

I rinse everything but hamburger.  Then pat dry with paper towel.  I dunno...meat juices seem to have a stink.