AB's Bacon

Started by Milehi, June 25, 2008, 01:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milehi

I was wondering if anyone has tried Alton Browns bacon recipe. If so, what did you think of the end result?  Was the three day cure long enough or would you give it more time? If no one has tried this, I am in need of a wet cure recipe using simple, everday ingredients.
Thanks

Habanero Smoker

I haven't tried it, but you generally can't go wrong with Alton Brown. Just note, when only using salt as the cure you will not have that ham/bacon type flavor that you would get using sodium nitrite.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Hey Milehi,
What kind of bacon are you referring to?  Canadian bacon or belly bacon?  If it's canadian bacon, the ultimate expert responded to you.  Habanero Smoker is the king of CB.  I wouldn't worry about Alton Brown's recipe for whatever kind of bacon it is.  There are guys on here who have made far more bacon than Alton Brown has ever made.  I'm a fan of Alton Brown but when it comes to bacon of any kind in the Bradley, I'll put my money on Habs, MallardWacker, TBS, Stickbowcrafter, FLBentrider and several others.

Post your questions and these guys will absolutely guide you through the process.  It's really quite easy.  Even I have made CB and belly bacon to the point that now my wife won't buy any at the grocery and orders pork belly at the meat market to make the bacon.

Oh, I left out Smoking Duck. The boy can  make some CB but he has a tendency to giggle like a girl when he takes it out of the Bradley.  My point is, bacon is really quite simple and you have all the expertise you will ever need right here with all the guys I mentioned.

OK guys, help Milehi out.

KyNola

westexasmoker

HB is the bomb bow too the bacon......its amazing...I make a batch and it's gone right after out of the fridge...really...I think HB as compared to AB  gotta go HB....non't trying to knock Alton......but habs is perfect!! Everytime! 

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

westexasmoker

KyNola, you forgot to mention the mesquite!  ;D

C

firerescueman

QuoteKyNola, you forgot to mention the mesquite!

He he he.....    Around these parts they spray for those....  We don't see many of 'em around here! ::)
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Milehi

Thanks guys. Talking about belly bacon. I decided to go with this mix I found on line. We'll see what happens.
14lbs.belly
1.5 gal. water
2 cups kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup tender quick
5-7 day cure

The butcher I got my bellies from said after the 7 day cure to mix mapleine and brown sugar rub on the bellies and vac pac for 2 days before smoking.

HCT

I've made a few of AB's bellies and they came out good. The color is a bit different from cured bacon as well as the taste. Would I make them again? Yes, but just for a change, not a everytime cure.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

chrispy

I am new to this forum.  I have alot of cooking experience, but not alot of smoking experience.  This forum has alot of information from several masters.  I bow to their knowledge.  Althought I enjoy Alton Brown,  I would go with the information here first.  I am curing my first round of Hab's CB right now.  It will be in the DBS next Friday.  Thanks to everyonr for providing all your help.

Chrispy

westexasmoker

Welcome Chrispy lots of good stuff here...not much from me, but I try!!

These guys rock, and know their stuff, Habs CB is the bomb!  Keep us posted!
My advice would be...................Oh nevermind!  ;D  Welcome!

C

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum chrispy!

What WTS said...  ;)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Welcome chrispy. 
Wow, you got a welcome by westex and he didn't even mention the wood!   ???

Enjoy.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

chrispy

Thank you. I will post pictures of my first canadian bacon with a taste report........

Chrispy

La Quinta

Welcome chrispy...WTS will tell you to smoke your mother-in-law in mesquite if he thought you could get away with it...please try other woods and spare us his mesquite preaching? (No...really...I'm begging you!!!) :)