Newbie pulled pork

Started by bushman, April 26, 2008, 03:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

This is going to be my first pulled pork. (i`m a virgin) .I have a 4.5 lb boston butt, it`s in the fridge with mustard slather and rub for over night. How long should overall smoking/cooking time be. I am going to smoke for four hours. I know I have to wait until 195 IT ,but just approx. so I can time things.

Thanks

Smoking Duck

Bushman,

Welcome to the site.  Time can be a rather subjective thing.  There are a lot of different variables associated with your smoke.  A lot has to do with how hot you smoke at, ambient temp, bone-in or not, etc.  I always smoke mine at 210-215 and it usually takes me anywhere from 16-24 hours but that's with a 8.5 -9 lb boston butt.

The best advice I can give you is to let the meat tell you how long.  I would plan on at least 12 hours but you might find that it takes more.  If you need to time the pork to get it done by a certain time, I'd allot a 6 hour window in which time you could FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) to get you into your serving window.

If you tell me some other variables (I assume you aren't in the frozen tundra), I may be able to help you a little more.  However, there are others who are way more knowledgeable than I that may be able to help you more.

Again, welcome to the site......you've certainly found the best place I know of to help you out with all your smoking needs.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Welcome Bushman,
The Duckster has you covered.  The FTC is about the only way to give you the buffer for timing.  Pulled pork FTCs well and reheats beautifully.

There are some high temp alternatives but the results are not as good.  This is not to say it is bad, just a little less fantastic.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

bushman

Thanks guys,

No bone in and a little damp weather . The temp is supposed to be about 65 and I will cook at 215

Thanks again

Bye the way ,I have Icemans sauce on the way.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum bushman!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum bushman.  I recommend keeping the cabinet temp below 210.  IMHO 200 box temp is even better.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

bushman

Smoking is going great 3hrs so far. I am going to move it after the smoking is finished in an hour ,to the convection oven. Is it a mistake to use convection or should I use regular heat and foil

Thanks

Wildcat

I do not have a convection oven, but I see no reason why you could not.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

No mistake...the convection oven is fine...just keep the same temp as the box (outside) I think you said about 215. You are good to go!!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: bushman on April 26, 2008, 11:32:45 PM
Thanks guys,

No bone in and a little damp weather . The temp is supposed to be about 65 and I will cook at 215

Thanks again

Bye the way ,I have Icemans sauce on the way.

If you've got some of Pat's sauce on the way, you are more than good to go.  It's the bees knees of sauce!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

vcackerman

9 lb picnic ham  (Bone in) is waiting for the smoker tonight for tomorrow night's dinner.  looking to get it in around 5 PM and serve tomorrow close to the same time.   Am I nuts?