Coyotes and ST. Petersburg Florida

Started by Oldman, August 17, 2008, 04:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

A couple of months back around 9pm I had just left the house when a "pack" of what looked like Coyotes ran across the road in front of me.  Now if this had happened in my teen years I would have figured it was just some bad grass that I smoked.

You must understand that I live a city. Not the country. Well this morning as I was walking Skyway we came upon 4 coyotes in the upper part of Cook Park. Now Skyway may be in his wheel chair but the d a m n pit came out of him. He was trying so hard to get to them that I had to let go of the leash and I threw my left leg over the back of his chair and lock both of my ankles against his chair's axles.

It was a friggin mess. One of the coyotes had someones cat in its mouth. There we were Skyway and me and my walking cane.  I was not carrying. I thought chit this is going to get nasty. Just about the moment I thought it was fight time a neighbor came out of her house with a can-powered air horn. 

When I got back to the house I told Susan about what had happened. She gave me the newspaper and in our neighborhood section, today, the title of the story was Pets missing? Coytoes likely the culprits. See this link for the story: http://tampabay.com/news/pinellas/article772789.ece

I'm here to tell ya those coyotes were not afraid of me or Skyway. And they are d a m n fast moving. To give you an idea of how much of a city I live in see the two images below.

Now there is one side of me that thinks it is pretty neat to have coyotes here. However, when I walk Skyway later this evening I will be carrying. Not that I'm the best shot by any means... but at 20 feet I can take the fuzz off of an egg without making an omelet. I just pray that it does not come to that.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

FLBentRider

Sounds like a mess Olds!

It must be easier hunting for them than in the Wild.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

The wild areas are getting smaller each year and the wild animals do not have much of an alternative except to adapt.  We have foxes, coyotes, bear, and many other critters around here.  So far they have only been a minor problem to people in this area.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Use to have coyotes walk the street in front of the house most every night when we first moved here 3 years ago.  Most bold was having 6 of them walk right down the middle of the street at 5:30 PM which is when I pulled into the drive way.  I haven't seen any since the fires last years.  These guys still had the fear of man in them.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Had some big mothers in San Clemente threaten me and Bob and the pups one night (when we were walking them). Have them all over the place in the desert. One lady was walking down the street at 11ish in the morning (downtown Palm Springs) with her little pooch...Coyote knocked her down and all she was left with was a leash...took her pup...it was awful... have friends in Oceanside that have them prowling outside their wrought iron fence at 8am...they have a weiner dog puppy...a wee bit scary to say the least.

It really is our fault I suppose...we took over their "land". Built homes where they used to eat din-din.

Damn developers. 

car54

My daughter's pug was face to face with a coyote in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. I would like to think that the coyote was freaked by the look of a bug eyed overweight (30 lbs) pug but a door slammed and scared it away. The previous week in the same area pets have been abducted in front of their owners.

Brad

Smoking Duck

Get them in my back yard all the time.  One time when my lab was in heat, two of them would come out every morning when I let her out to take care of business.  Once, they took to growling at my kids who were waiting for the bus for school.  Needless to say, the population was down two coyotes the next morning.  I leave them alone when they leave me alone but if you growl at my kids, I'm gonna make sure you end up on the working end of a bullet.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

Note to self....never growl at SD's kids. ;) :D

NePaSmoKer

Growing up in the desert of S Calif my parents had a small ranch against the mountains. On the weekend mornings i used to shoot them rascals with my 7mm going back into a cave. When i got a mini 14 i found that a 30 round clip was funner than 1 shot of 7mm  ;D

Last year i got 4 here in PA with a 22 mag on my friends property.

nepas

Oldman

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 19, 2008, 05:56:45 AM
Growing up in the desert of S Calif my parents had a small ranch against the mountains. On the weekend mornings i used to shoot them rascals with my 7mm going back into a cave. When i got a mini 14 i found that a 30 round clip was funner than 1 shot of 7mm  ;D

Last year i got 4 here in PA with a 22 mag on my friends property.

nepas
You still have  your Mini?
This is my 1976 Mini. The red dot is set for 50 yards. I have 10 - 20 round mags (original -- not after market.) With its twist count I have no problem shooting NATO 5.56 (65 grain.) rounds. I picked up 1,600 rounds of NATO last year at a good price.

I have been looking at this one:

FULTON ARMORY 5.56/.223 Unversal Precision Rifle, but with the new tranny for my MG I figure I better wait a little or Susan will 5.56 me~~! LOL! ($ 1797.95)

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!