Just purchased an OBS.........

Started by Tulip, July 03, 2008, 06:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tulip

Just purchased an OBS to smoke some meat for the 4th.  I have read through the forum that it is a good idea to season the smoker first.   What are the steps and for how long?  Also are there any tricks or suggestions that you guys would recommend.

Thanks in advance,

Chris "Tulip" Revill

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the forum Tulip!

There should be seasoning steps in the manual - page 6 . If I recall, it should be:

1. Wash /  dry all the racks.
2. Plug in smoker, turn on smoke generator, push temp slider control halfway to the right.
2. Use 3 pucks to 6 pucks of your favorite wood (if you purchased the variety pack, I would go with "special blend) and a 1/2 full water bowl.
3. Press the puck advance button until the puck is on the end of the burner.
4. Open the Top Vent slightly.
5. Smoker should be @ 150 F until the pucks run out - 3 pucks per hour - 6 pucks = 2 hours or so.

Suggestions:

1. Get a maverick ET-73 smoker/meat thermometer.
2. Get 3 "Spacer" or "Bubba" pucks - put them on the puck stack last, they will push the last puck off the burner when done.
3. Don't be afraid to experiment
4. Stay tuned here.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HCT

Welcome Tulip. Follow FBLR's directions and you're all set. Enjoy your box and stay tuned. ;) 
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

KyNola

Welcome to the Bradley family,
Lots of friends here to guide you through the learning process.  FLBR is absolutely correct, both on the seasoning of the smoker and his suggestions for accessories.  Of course then there are the bacon hangers, jerky screens, jerky racks, PID, etc etc etc.  Darn this is getting expensive! :D  Well worth it though!

Enjoy and let us know what your first project is going to be and the results!

KyNola

Tulip

Thanks for the advice and suggestions guys.  What are your opinions on the wireless/digital smoker thermometers?

aces-n-eights

Quote from: Tulip on July 03, 2008, 08:34:19 AM
What are your opinions on the wireless/digital smoker thermometers?

I think the majority of smokers here use Maverick brand wireless thermometers.  There may be other manufacturers, but Maverick seems to lead the pack.  What you want to look for is a dual probe wireless thermometer.  With one probe you can monitor the temp in the box and with the other monitor the internal temp of the lump of meat you are smoking.  I bought a Maverick ET-7 from Amazon.com.  Check out the ET-73 as well.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

KyNola

Maverick ET-73 essential for me.  The reason you want to monitor the heat in the box is the temp readings you will get from the Bradley gauges can be grossly inaccurate or at least that has been my experience.  The Maverick ET-73 does a much better job.

KyNola

hillbillysmoker

Welcome. Glad you decided to join us. As you have already noticed, there are lots of friendly folk here who are always willing to help. Follow the great advice already given. I have two types of wireless thermometers. I have the Maverick 73 and the Oregon Scientific Talking Thermometer. I have had more trouble free operation from the Maverick but the Oregon has better reception distance. The Oregon probes seem to be less durable.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

JimShueJohn

As a 3 week owner of a OBS here is what I have done so far.

Smart things I've done so far
========================

1) Spent hours reading the posts of this forum  ( Learn FTC.... FTC is a good to do.  I think it can help cover a multitude of errors a first timer may make.  )

2) Purchased 4 for 3 deal wood bisquettes from Amazon.   Essentially if you purchase 4 lawn and garden items you get the lowest priced item free from Amazon.

3) Purchased 6 stack cover for my 4 stack OBS.  Definitely like the extra space.

4) Purchased the Bubba Pucks off of ebay.  Didn't understand why at first but this is a must IMHO now that I understand the puck delivery concept.

5) First smoke was a pork shoulder (pulled pork).  Turned out wonderful.  Posts say it is the easiest thing to do and I believe it is hard to mess this up.

6) Second smoke was some baby back ribs.   Rub selection seems very important and meat quality.  Ribs purchased from butcher were great.  Ribs from Costco were average.  Wasn't 100% thrilled with the 2 different rubs that I used.

7) Purchased a pre-buit PID from Aubiens (<--misspelled probably)

8) I'm 100% sold on the PID.  IMHO there is too much guess work on guessing what the true temperature is in the box.  THE PID is wonderful.  Did a Brisket low (205) and slow and it was juicy and absolutely wonderful.  I think my ribs will be better next time now that I have better temperature control.

9) Waiting for my Maverick - 7.   Using a normal Meat thermometer isn't convenient. Open door try to read real quick before you let out the heat just isn't working for me.  Rotate meat have to reput in the thermometer.  I really want the Maverick 7.

Pet-Peeve
=========
Mother Nature -   We get pop-up thunderstorms all the time.  Set and forget is great until it rains.  Twice I've had to run out on my deck unplug everything and cover up the OBS in the middle of a smoke because of a really bad thunderstorm.

I live in one of those stuck-up neighborhoods so I can't create just anything as a permanent cover for my OBS.   I've seen some people with their garage setup's but that isn't my first option.

Tulip

Sorry for the newb question guys but what is a "pre-built PID" and what is it's purpose?  I have seen it mentioned several times on the forum.

JimShueJohn

Quote from: Tulip on July 03, 2008, 10:49:05 AM
Sorry for the newb question guys but what is a "pre-built PID" and what is it's purpose?  I have seen it mentioned several times on the forum.

Yes it was a "pre-built PID".  One newb to another.   "You to set the temperature control on the box to MAX.  You plug the box part into the PID.  Plug the PID into the electric socket.  Drop PID thermometer into the box through the top.  Program the PID temperature you want.  What the PID does is turn off the box when it reaches a programmed temperature.  No electricity - no heat.   When the temperature drops it turns the box back on.  It only affects the box and not the smoking unit.

You want 205 you get 205 as a temperature.  In my opinion when you use the door you are +- probably 20 degrees. 

My pid allows me to turn off box after N hours just in case I forget, I have a failsafe as not to generate a lump of coal.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: Tulip on July 03, 2008, 10:49:05 AM

Tulip,

That would be your pre-built Porter Indicating Device. It guides you to your beer. A non-pre-built unit is someone who is actually taking your last beer and not telling you....    :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

westexasmoker

Unless, you got a kegerator....Oh crap nevermind....and its powered with...................M.............OK not!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

West Coast Kansan

Tulip, JSJ - Welcome here to the forum.  Another tip is the recipe site. You can get there by clicking the smoker below.  Many smokers here have contributed ideas to the site.  Enjoy, fun is ahead.  ;D

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Duster