How many people can an 8 pound butt feed?

Started by Smokin Soon, July 07, 2008, 03:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Planning a lunch for 16 people, dont know 1 or 2 butts. Also after an all night cook i was going to throw in some wings. I I fire up the Smokegen again will it overpower the butts which have had 4 hours already? Most folks here say that meat cannot accept any more smoke after 140 or so. I hav done some 7-8 pound butts, but not for a crowd.

FLBentRider

It depends on the demographics and how hungry they are.

For an 8 pounder, My family of 6 (2 teenagers, two 3-5 YO), there won't be _any_ left.

In a pot-luck dinner environment, (where there may be other main course choices), 1 butt would be fine.

For the people / groups I've fed, I would bring both butts and not expect any leftovers.

You could put the butts in the oven to finish, so you have room for the wings.

To finish in the oven I would wrap in foil or put it a covered foil pan, and put into a 205 degree oven, and monitor the IT of the butt.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

I'm with FL, I'd go for two butts its always better to have too much than not enough!  IF there are any leftovers, vac seal and freeze or do another dish with them the next night!  Good Luck!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

WT, I just wanted to tell you that these butts will be half hickory and half mesquite smoked. I could leaning toward "The Dark Side"
We will see.