• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ox Tails

Started by stillsmoking, July 05, 2008, 03:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Smoked some ox tails last weekend and am just getting around to posting.  It was a mixed batch of tails, some really big, beautiful tails with a fine layer of fat and several smaller less meaty sections.  Thawed out the tails, about five pounds total, washed them off and put them in the smoker for about four hours of cherry and hickory at 150-170.  No seasoning just tails.  Took them out, brought them to a boil with some bullion and bay leaf, turned down and let simmer for three or four hours then brought back to a full boil and turned off.  Let the meat cool and it was so tender and perfect it fell off the bone, have never seen such a clean ox tail.  The wife did discard a good deal of the fat but not before getting that nice fat and smoke flavor into the stock.  Meat back into the pot with 1 cup barley, 1 bag grated carrots, two onions, garlic, salt and pepper.  WOW!  Very, very good ox tails and even better soup.  We agreed next time around, less barley, more carrots, more onion and some mushrooms would be great, Red wine would also be a good addition.  I grew up eating ox tail soup from animals we raised and butchered but this was better.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for posting how to smoker oxtails. The next time I make oxtail and beans, I will have to try smoking them first. The problem in my area is that most markets try to pawn off the small tips off on you.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

I have never had oxtails but that soup sounds great!

HCT

Habs, same problem here, the markets sell just the small ends, very hard to find a decent oxtail.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

stillsmoking

Sure thing Habs, we love some good oxtail and it just seemd natural to me.  I forgot to mention we did marinate overnight in some cheap (read undrinkable) white grenache.  Even the smaller sections gave good flavor and the meat just shook off the bone.  Could have easily given it more smoke too, the smoky flavor was great in the background but in no way overwhelming even right off the bone.  Good luck with the soup!  Good weather for it here.

I have read many of your posts Habs over the last year, thanks for passing along all the great information!

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome; but I've learned more from the members of this forum than I could ever pass on.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

Habs is being way to modest, his info and guidance (along with everyone on this site) is beyond compare!!  Oxtails, I've seen this in the store, gonna have to give this a go!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

They don't have any ox in my part of the country  :(

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

stillsmoking

Anything big that eats grass and has a tail will do!

westexasmoker

I got four steers down by the arena....oh heck their for roping...but they might not miss their tails!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

La Quinta

I love OxTails...smoked them once and braised them (in wine/stock...etc...) after the smoke...couldn't really taste the smoke tho...they were tasty little beasts...so I was good with them...but it's a laborious process to start so...we have them once in a blue moon....

West Coast Kansan

No ox tail at VON's or Ralph's.  Couple of dobermans next door I dont think too much of - but it looks like someone got there ahead of me  :(

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

La Quinta

WCK...do you have a 99 Ranch down there? I thought our friends told us there was one...but I may have spent too much time at BevMo that day!!! :)

West Coast Kansan

Cant imagine LaQ you spending too much time at BevMo.  :-X I have not heard of a Ranch 99.  I can tell you my butcher shop closed... Mike's Choice Meat is no more - so i gotta find something.  Let me know what your friends say.   ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)