Did I mention bacon???

Started by KyNola, July 11, 2008, 07:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

19 lbs of pork belly out of the frig after curing 7 days in the Morton Tender Quick/Brown sugar cure.  Back in the frig tonight to dry and smoke tomorrow.  Can't wait to see how it works, last time I had maple syrup in the cure and found the end result a little too sweet although everyone else said best bacon they have ever had.

It's all good,
KyNola

La Quinta

You go KyMan...wish we lived next door....!!! :)

3rensho

Sounds like that's gonna be a nice piece of piggy.  I've made the same experience using maple syrup. too sweet, at least for my taste.  I'm back to brown sugar now.

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

HCT

Funny you guys should mention the bacon coming out too sweet. I'm finding mine coming out a little too bland. Next time I do bacon I'm going to try a bit more brown sugar or maple syrup coating on the belly.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

That is a lot of bacon, but it got me wanting some. I'm going to place an order on Monday.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

If it works out, I will be taking a group of Boy Scouts to a local farm to get a pork bellies. Each Scout will get to take his slab home to refrigerate, turn, soak, dry. Then the next week, we will put it all in the Bradley.

I'm not sure there will be room for mine....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 12, 2008, 11:41:46 AM
If it works out, I will be taking a group of Boy Scouts to a local farm to get a pork bellies. Each Scout will get to take his slab home to refrigerate, turn, soak, dry. Then the next week, we will put it all in the Bradley.

I'm not sure there will be room for mine....

That's a great idea. I get my bacon from a local slaughter house that raise their on hogs, cows, and other animals.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Habs,
You're right, it is a lot of bacon but I have folks standing in line outside my front door to get their free bacon.  I give away a lot of whatever is in the smoker.

A little difficult situation today.  Using Sticks instructions for 3 hours of smoke at 200 degrees to an IT of 150-152.  It is 92 degrees here today.  The temp of the meat was going up one degree about every 30 seconds.  Had to knock the temp down in the Bradley to about 150 in order to be able to get the 3 hours of smoke on it.  Still smoking but I finally slowed the IT increase.

KyNola