Started by sibba, July 15, 2008, 05:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sibba

want to make jerky
MEat?
Simple recipe?
temp?
Time?

Couple batches of this should pay for my BS. 

FLBentRider

Quote from: sibba on July 15, 2008, 05:27:31 AM
want to make jerky
MEat?
Simple recipe?
temp?
Time?

Couple batches of this should pay for my BS. 
I make quite a bit of jerky. There are alot of options, I'll tell you how I do it.

I have used several different cuts of beef, from flank steak to top round.

I've settled on the "eye round" roast that I get at Sams club - it seems to need the least trimming and has a log shape that slices easily.
After trimming away the fat and any other "non-meat" stuff, I put it on butcher paper, on a sheet pan, and into the freezer for 3 to 6 hours. You want it firm but not hard frozen.

I then use a deli slicer to slice it, not wafer-thin but less than 1/4 inch thick.

I use Hi Mountain seasonings according to the package directions.

Into a ziplock bag and the refrigerator for at least 24 hours.

Depending on what flavor seasoning I used, I apply not more than 1 hour of smoke @ 200F with the vent wide open. Rotate racks every 30 minutes.

Usually from there into the convection oven set on "drying", or you could use a dehydrator, or leave it in the Bradley until it is done.

Done is subjective, We like it when it looks dry and the fat just starts to render out.

I always finish in the convection oven, so I'm not sure how long it will take if you leave it in the smoker.

you might also want to search these forums for "jerky"

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7305.0
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Milehi

All great advice from above. I'll add a couple more. After you take the meat out of the marinade, pat it dry as much as possible with paper towels. Keep the thickness of your slices as consistent as possible otherwise you will have to check the jerky constantly because it will be getting done at varying rates.