Tin foil why is it bad?

Started by WannaB Smoker, July 13, 2008, 09:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WannaB Smoker

Just wondering why you can't use tin foil in the smoker? Got my smoker and this is my first smoke project - making ribs and the recipe is designed for pit smoking and after smoking for 3 hours I'm supposed to cover with tin foil and keep cooking on a lower temp without smoke for another 2 hours.

So far so good the smoker is fairly easy to use and put together and the seasoning went well.

FLBentRider

Quote from: WannaB Smoker on July 13, 2008, 09:15:55 AM
Just wondering why you can't use tin foil in the smoker? Got my smoker and this is my first smoke project - making ribs and the recipe is designed for pit smoking and after smoking for 3 hours I'm supposed to cover with tin foil and keep cooking on a lower temp without smoke for another 2 hours.

So far so good the smoker is fairly easy to use and put together and the seasoning went well.

I don't remember seeing that in the rule book...  ;D

The only thing I recall is that if you are going to foil wrap, might as well put it in your regular oven, since it is assumed that you are done with the smoking part, since I don't think smoke will penetrate foil very well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

WannaB

What they are referring to in the manual is not to cover the racks or the V-pan with foil. This would cause excessive heat build up below that area of the smoker. There is no problem wrapping something like ribs in foil to braise them. Lots of people cover their ribs after the smoke portion is done to braise them with a little apple juice with out a problem.

Mike

PS
Just make sure you leave enough room around each bundle for the heat to circulate.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Both FLBR and Walleye are spot on.  I agree with FLBR, once the smoke portion is over you can wrap them in foil and transfer to your house oven for the remainder of the cook time.  Once the smoking session is done, the Bradley is just an oven.  You can control the cook temp better in your house oven.  That's how I do most everything now.

Walleye is correct in that you don't want to cover any surface completely inside the Bradley with foil. 

Have fun and welcome aboard.
KyNola

WannaB Smoker

Thanks for the advice...I ended up removing it from the smoker and finishing them in the oven. Everything turned out pretty good for my first try. I'm amazed at the flavour added by the hickory. Now onto the washing and scrubbing!

Gizmo

If you moved the food to the oven after smoking, the clean up shouldn't have been as bad as if you had gone the whole distance and baked it in more.  You can keep that a secret from the Mrs. though in case you need a few extra hours for some refreshments.   ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/