Freezing a brisket

Started by Memquisit, September 06, 2008, 04:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memquisit

A whole brisket is just too big for me and my wife.  My question is should I cut the brisket in half and freeze half before I smoke it?  Or should I smoke the whole brisket, then cut it and freeze half?

In the past, I would cut it first.  But in reading the posts here I get the impression that the bigger the brisket, the better it is.  Also, is that true with pork butts?

PAsmoker

I usually just smoke the whole thing and freeze what's left.  I've noticed no degredation in quality when thawing and reheating the leftovers.  It's kinda nice when someone gets the hankering for some brisket to have some already done.   As for butts, I always seem to be freezing a quantity  for later.  In fact, I just found some that has been in the back of the deep freezer for about a year & a half.  I thawed it and made a nice stir fry of veggies & smoked pork. 
The Original PAsmoker

beefmann

cook it then freeze it... just wrap it or vacubag it to remove aall the  air  out  of it. a smoked brisket  will last longer ovee an  uncooked one

Beefman

Wildcat

I always cook then freeze with vac sealer in family portions.  Easy meals.  I re-heat by placing unopened in hot water.  If you do not let it boil, just keep water hot, it will heat up real nice without the seal breaking.  The taste is just like it came out of the smoker.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Pachanga

I would advise smoking the brisket whole and then dividing and preserving using your favorite method or one of the excellent methods aforementioned.  Do not slice prior to freezing.  A larger question is how to divide, since there is a lean end (the wife's preferred), a perfect middle (the pit master's plate) and then a generously marbled deckle.  I generally slice and serve as needed, starting from the lean end. Then freeze the remainder leaner portions in vac bags in unsliced portions which I speculate will be needed.  The well marbled is frozen separately and pulsed in a food processor a few times (just before serving) to be made into chopped sandwiches.

Occasionally, I have a frozen undivided brisket and need just a third or so.  I very lightly thaw, cut a third off and refreeze the rest.

I have used Wildcat's hot water method and find it works well for smaller portions in vac bags.  Just remember to not boil the water as he states.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

westexasmoker

Pachanga I'm convinced you and I must have been seperated at birth   ;D  I like the way you think!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Pachanga

Westexasmoker,

Well, I am from West Texas, transplanted to Dallas/Fort Worth.  I have, however, made the decision that mesquite from Bradley is bitter in large (maybe even medium) quantities.  For some reason, it is not like mesquite from logs with which I am familiar in Texas.  Occasionally, while hunting, I will pick up mesquite limbs that are the same diameter as pucks and cut them into rings on the old table saw.  They feed pretty well and they produce a different and decidedly better Texas smoke than the Bradley mesquite in my uneducated and humble opinion.  I will admit to adding several Bradley mesquite pucks to all of my brisket smokes (as well as most other meats and poultry).  Habits and Texas tradition haven't died here.

I forgot to mention the well charred, burnt end of the deckle and how to preserve it.  The reason I forgot is that this piece is the pit master's choice and is the first to go.  However, I do not always get this slice of heaven as my kids, nieces and nephews have discovered this part of the brisket also.  I try to take it off right out of the smoker but after testing four briskets for taste, I sometimes do not get this done.  I am preparing a disclaimer on the dangers of carcinogens carried by smoke for them to sign.  Maybe that will scare them away.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

westexasmoker

Sorrow about the transplant, been to DFW and way to many people, traffic for me!  I agree with the point end OMG it makes some of the best chopped beef sandwiches you'll ever have!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Memquisit

Thanks all.  Your input is much appreciated.

Smoking a whole brisket, then freezing what isn't used is the way I'll go.