ABT's?

Started by La Quinta, July 15, 2008, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

Just curious what the general feeling is on jalepenos right now with the "scare" with salmonella? I guess especially with people in the more "infected" states?

westexasmoker

Shoot LQ, I don't think I'd worry to much, unless you eat them raw, since for the most part its rats (abts) they are cooked and the boogers are gone...but I can say that the pico has kinda taking a back seat here of late....I don't know how much ya what to believe the news, but can't be to carefull!  Better safe than, well sick!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

deb415611

I went to a local produce stand over the weekend & was hoping that they would have some.  If I could find local ones I would definately buy them.  I'm kind of on the fence on the ones from the grocery store (not that they have had any for the last month). 

La Quinta

Was talking to a friend the other day...that was gonna make them for a party...and he was nervous...I can appreciate that... as they can't seem to figure out where this is coming from. Toms...peppers...yada...yada...glad we're growing our own hotties in the yard...just thought I'd ask...

More opinions would be great...

West Coast Kansan

Tomatos, Peppers, etc cooked seem fine to me.  Not so sure about Salsa.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Habanero Smoker

Given a good wash, and cooked you should be fine. As WCK stated, if used raw as in salsa, that is where the warning comes in. In my area the warning should be "Eating jalapenos can be hazardous to your wallet." Prior to the health warning, jalapenos were going for up to $4.99/lb.

I was looking for some yesterday and couldn't find them in the stores, so I will be hitting the farmer's markets over the weekend.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

See this is yet another reason to go with the ADT's, stuffed habaneros! MMMmmmmm good!  ;D ;D ;D

Oldman

QuotePrior to the health warning, jalapenos were going for up to $4.99/lb.
Not knowing where everyone lives I can only suggest growing your own. Years back I saw a hedge in the front of a person home that were pepper plants. They were (if I remember correctly) at that time 5-6 years old. Of course they don't handle a freeze very well.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I'm in the process of growing some this year. Not too many, 12 jalapeno plants, and 6 habanero plants. Started growing them prior to the salmonella warning, because the price in my area was getting outrageous. Picked a bad year to start, too much rain during the beginning of the growing season.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

HCT

Haven't given it too much thought. I always wash my vegtables prior to using. Maybe I'm an idiot but I don't understand how now, all of a sudden all these scares are popping up. This is the first time in my 60 years that this is happening. What happened in all those years prior to this. Don't you just love the way this government operates? Let's take their minds off the real issues. Just my humble opinion
Habs, I know what you mean about the prices. Just a couple of weeks ago they were going for $1.99 around here. I also have them growing with no fruits yet.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Buck36

I guess I don't have a clear understanding of the issue either. I thought the salmonella involved the exterior and interior of the vegetable. That washing the infected tomato, jalapeno, lettuce, etc. wasn't insuring you were safe. That may just be CYA for all the various agencies.

If it is just a vegetable exterior issue, then I really don't understand the hype. We used to have a large garden growing up and we dumped manure on it every year. I could only imagine the amount bacteria surrounding our food.

Habanero Smoker

To be on the safe side you need to wash and cook. Cutting the peppers or tomatoes you expose the interior to the bacteria that was on the surface; or bacteria could enter through blemishes. Lettuce you have too many nuke and crannies to give it a good washing, and that is generally not cooked.

In making ABT, if you cook them long enough for the bacon to be done, I'm sure the interior will be at least 140 degrees F for a long enough period to destroy the bacteria. If unsure you can check a few with an instant read thermometer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pensrock

I'm growing 24 jalapenos, a lot will be used for chipoltes. 6 cayennes, 6 habs, 3 pobalanos, 6 hot wax and 4 super hot 'nagas'. I still have a bunch of thai, cayenne and serranos dried. So I think that will get me through till next year.  ::)
I have to replant every year because of the winter months but I have heard that you can bring the plants in and allow them to go dorment over winter and bring back out next spring. I do not know how to do this but would love to learn.  ???

HCT

pensrock, what no aji's? :D :D :D Sounds like a nice crop.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

La Quinta

My original thought on the question...was...is 200/210ish hot enough to destroy the bacteria? I think the reason we are seeing this more is because countries such as Mexico are willing (and able) to produce them cheaper then the US is "willing" to sell home grown products for. Labor...benefits....taxes...all the stuff we are confronted/afforded with as Americans...isn't cheap. The answer is...buy local...if they don't have em...cook something else!! :) Uh...IMHO....