Smoked Turkey

Started by bsheger, August 01, 2008, 03:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsheger

Does anyone have any experience with smoking a whole turkey?  My dad has a 12 lb. bird he wants to get out of his freezer and would like me to try and smoke it.  Any help with times and temps would be appreciated.

KyNola

I'll take the first stab at this and then let the experts guide you better.  First recommendation to you is brine the bird the day before you are going to smoke it.  You can find plenty of various brine recipes posted here and on the recipe site.  It really makes all the difference in the world in how moist and flavorful your turkey will come out.  After the brining process, remove the bird from the brine and discard the brine.  Rinse and pat the bird dry.  Season the bird to your preference.  I applied about 2 hours and 40 minutes of smoke to mine at 250 and then transferred it into my house conventional oven to complete the cooking process at "normal" turkey roasting temps.  Actual time may vary.  Just make sure the IT of the turkey gets to 165 degrees.  The reason I transfer to the oven is it cuts down on the overall cooking time and I can maintain the heat better.  One item to note, when you have the bird in the smoker, make sure your vent is 100% open.  Poultry holds a LOT of mositure and you don't want it to build up in the tower.  Also, poultry is like a smoke sponge.  It simply doesn't require as much smoke time as say pork or beef.

There you have my version!  Others will be along shortly to give you much better advice.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

KyNola cover all the bases. I just want to add if you are brining try to get a bird that has been minimally process and not already injected with a solution higher then 2% sodium.

Also if you are going to finish in the oven at higher temperatures you may want to remove the bird when it reaches 160°F, then tent it loosely with foil. It will easily reach at least 165°F while resting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Habs,
Great catch on the 160 IT if finishing at a higher temp!  Told you the experts would be along to help you.  That's why I really appreciate this forum.  Guys like Habs help me to get all I can possibly get out of the Bradley.

KyNola